1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

File Won't Delete

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doescher4, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

I have a picture file on my desktop that I am trying to delete and whenever I right click to delete it, it causes my computer to crash. I have tried renaming it and I cant do that either. Is there any way I can get rid of this file?

thanx,
    Lori

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do a find, files, desktop, right click on it there, then delete it.

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

Have you tried dragging it into the recycle bin?

............Just click and hold down while you drag it over to it's final destination.

How did this picture get on your desktop to begin with?

DS

4. Raphael

Raphael

How about deleting it from DOS? Start >Programs>MS Dos Prompt> cd desktop (Enter)
    dir (Enter)
    del "folder name" (Enter)

5. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I couldnt get any of those ideas to work. The problem with the file is that my son named it and he gave it a really long name. This seems to be the problem. Whenever I try to do anything with it, I get the message " this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown". I cant even rename it. This has made our desktop go into the desktop recovery mode. Any other suggestions on how I can get rid of this file??

Thanks

6. ~Candy~

Try it in safemode.

7. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Tried it in safe mode...same thing happens. I get the norton crash guaard box saying: the program, "program manager" caused the error: Access Violation. The program tried to examine invalid data at that location, or the data was off-limits to the program.

Lori

8. ~Candy~

Try turning the Norton crashguard off first.....then go back and try some of the other suggestions.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the exact name of the file? And have you done an updated antivirus scan? There are some that appear to be "pic" files.

Can you determine the DOS shortname (MS-DOS Name)
    of the file by right clicking on it and selecting "properties"

10. dhitman13

dhitman13

try scanreg or going back to a date before it was put on your desktop. that may take care of the problem and good luck;)

11. Raphael

Raphael

in ms dos, the file name is "seven letters~1", did you have trouble finding the file, or did it just not delete?

12. Trboy13

Trboy13

well if you cant delete the file, then try and delete the folder it is in. It worked for me before.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it's on the destop, you don't want to delete the whole folder, as that will take down all the files and shortcuts you may have there. However the individual file can be deleted in DOS if the shortname can be identified.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice