1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

file won't fit on thumb drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MPeg3, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I have an 8GB thumb drive. It shows that it has 7.49GB free space. When I tried to copy a 6.39GB file to it, I get a msg. saying the file is too large for the destination file system. Can anyone explain why this would happen.

Peg

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the thumb drive use a FAT32 or NTFS file system? FAT32 has a 4GiB (4,294,967,296 Byte) file size limit.

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Not sure how to tell, but I assume it is FAT32. Can I format it to NTFS? And, if I can, will I still be able to use it to transfer files from my PC to my Mac? That is what I'm using it for. I have never had any luck with networking them.:(
    Peg

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    To find out the drive formatting in Windows, right click on the drive in "My Computer" and choose Properties.

Yes , you should be able to easily reformat the drive. I believe that you will lose the current contents of the drive in the process. When you right click on the drive, one of the other menu choices is to format the drive. That selection will then let you choose the format you wish to use.

From what I have read, the NTFS format is not fully compatible with the MAC OS. Some versions can read the contents with no problem, but third party software is needed to write to the drive.

Depending on your Mac's OS you may want to try the exFAT drive format on the drive. That should allow the MAC to read and write to the drive.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

MPeg3, I agree that it isn't difficult to network Macs and PCs. But, if you aren't interested in pursuing that, you can certainly use NTFS on your pendrive. Mac OS X from 9.5 forward can read NTFS, but I believe you need 3rd party software to write NTFS unless you are running Snow Leopard or Lion. Even then, the ability to mount an NTFS volume is disabled by default.

If you need to transfer large files from the PC to the Mac frequently, I'd say it's worth the time to configure networking. However, if you decide to stick with a pendrive, you need to be aware that if you format the pendrive to NTFS, you are going to loose capacity. Of course, you could always Convert the pendrive :D

7. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I guess I will give the networking another try. I have a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 that I am trying to network to a Vista 64 bit PC. Will give it one more try as it will speed things up dramatically if I can use both computers.

Thanks for the help
    Peg

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice