1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved FileHippo.com website?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TOGG, Jul 28, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

I have been a happy user of FileHippo for a very long time because, as far as I'm aware, its downloads didn't have undesirable 'passengers' along for the ride.

The website still seems to be up but does not appear to have been updated since 28th June. Also, as of today, my browser reports that the sites' certificate cannot be trusted.

Does anyone know anything about what has happened to FileHippo?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What file ???
    Many free files/apps have passengers nowadays ....
    Just be careful and don't allow them to be installed.
    Sometimes I use Major Geeks ... they usually tell if "Ad Supported"

3. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

I'm not looking for a specific file I'm just curious as to why such a useful site suddenly stopped functioning.

Interestingly, when I was looking for information I did a search on File Hippo and found quite a few entries for sites with minor variations of the name, suggesting that others are aware of the FH reputation and are attempting to lure the unwary into downloading from them.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I used to use File Hippo ... Don't remember if I had a reason to quit using it.
    Your right ... FileHippo is several versions old compared to Major Geeks for "BurnAware" I use and doesn't give the advisory "Ad Supported"

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TOGG:
    I was a user of FileHippo until I noticed it was no longer updating its software apps.
    I'm sticking with MajorGeeks and Neowin and SoftPedia and a few other sites for now.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    MajorGeeks has been my primary go to, but I don't download much anymore.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I try to find the software creator's website first but if I can't (possibly because it doesn't exist anymore) I have used MajorGeeks and Softpedia and both seem safe.

8. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Well, the FH site is still up and offering updates from June, so it looks as though some serious problems have occurred which have prevented whoever was behind it from carrying on, a real shame in my opinion.

I have been trialling a program called 'U Check' https://www.adlice.com/download/ucheck/ which works by comparing your installed software against its own database and offering any updates it may find. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice