filename in Word footer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

asdfght5

I'm using Word in Office 2007.

I have learned to use Insert => Quick Parts to put the file name in the document's footer.

Many documents I use evolve over time and I change the file name to help me keep track of versions. Such as MyFileV1, MyFileV2, etc.

Word does not use the current file name in the footer. I have to change it manually every time the file name iterates.

How can I get Word to insert the current file name in the footer?

Thanks.

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
In earlier versions of Word you could update by selecting the field and pressing F9. That might speed things up a little.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think you will find that in most cases the file name will be updated if you were to print the file or even do a "Print Preview". But if you have manually been changing things then the "Field" my not longer be there.

Open the Footer, delete the file name text. Then on the Design tab, find "Quick Parts", then Fields, and then from the drop down "Filename".
If you want to add the path, add a check to the box near 'Add path to filename'.

As previously mentioned you can use a VBA macro to update the header. The most common event that would be used to trigger the code is the Document_Open() event. Let me know if you need help.

Rollin

asdfght5

Thanks for the advice guys.

The print preview operation does seem to update the file name in the footer, good suggestion, thank you.

Rollin, if you can offer me a snippet of code to automate this task it would be appreciated. I am not VBA fluent and would not be able to develop the software on my own.

Steve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online