1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files and directories magically dissapear.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Omnixius, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omnixius

Omnixius Thread Starter

OK this is going to be a long one, so let me just jump in.

We are working with windows 7 Service pack 1.

User is working on files and folders on their computer. They shut the computer down for the night, and in the morning they boot up, go to my documents and notice it looks wrong. The very first directory is missing. Over the next couple of days, they notice that directories are slowly vanishing in perfect alphabetical order. Unfortunately one of them that vanishes is critical.

An hour after they notice its gone they have brought it to me. I look into it and its obviously gone. I do the basic thing, they accidentally dragged it into another directory or location. I hunt for it in every directory, drive, alternate location etc, no good, its not there. I can click on the recent tab and I can see the missing directory in the list, I can view its properties and see its location in my documents. But clicking it tells me the location this link refers to no longer exists and asks me if I want to delete the shortcut.

I check the recycling bin, not there.

So I think virus. I scan it. Nortons, Superantispyware, malwarebytes, spybot, Hitman pro, a few others, all they find are the usual cookies. I run scans for rootkits, nothing is found.

I use some tools to search for the files, nothing is found. I turn on show hidden files, I turn on show system files. I install three separate data recovery programs and scan the drive sector by sector a half dozen times.

The directory is NEVER found, except in 1 scanner, that shows the directory was "Copied" To a flash drive at one point three months ago.

So I now have two verifications that the directory did once exist. In the recent tab, and in 1 out of 3 data recover programs. However the one that saw the directory finds no files in it.

While I am using it and running these scans one of the directories vanishes in front of my face.:eek: I even have two explorer windows open. The old one I opened an hour ago still shows the directory there. The new one I open a few minutes ago shows its missing. I scan for the now missing directory and its like it never existed. Not trace of it is found. I immediately back up everything else on the computer before the slow decay into oblivion gets anymore of her data. I check both explorer windows a second time and they both show its gone now.

I think, ok the drives failing, its got bad sectors or something so I do a chkdsk. nothing out of the ordinary, nothing at all.

Where do I go from here? Not only can I not get these files back, I can't guarantee she wont loose everything else over the next week or so.

They are simply ceasing to exist, like time is being overwritten, because if they were deleted, renamed, moved, or in any way altered, the data recover software would have seen it.

Could this be being archived somehow? Like compressed to a zip file? Maybe the scanners wouldn't see that, and it would have an obscure name I might have overlooked.

Could she accidentally be connected to some kind of cloud backup that's archiving the directories online? I see something installed called OneCloud.

For the record, the computer shows no other issues of any kind. No problems to report, its fast, runs clean, has plenty of memory and hard disk space, and in all other ways is running perfect.

If anybody knows where I can get a voodoo witch doctor to remove the hex from this computer, or where I can get freeware time manipulation software so I can fix the hole in time and space that are eating her hard drive please let me know.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What is the name of the folder that disappears ?

3. Omnixius

Omnixius Thread Starter

the first folder was named "annual' the second was "aston" then "Beth" I think she said there was a folder before Beth, after Beth a folder named BR something disapeared while I was working on it. It is the Beth folder that matters most to me.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Disconnect from the internet. You may be getting hacked.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. Omnixius

Omnixius Thread Starter

Hello again, I am just going to add this as further mystery info. I created a fake word document, just typed out a bunch of hand rolling on the keyboard and went to "save as" to save the file. The default save location was c:/users/username/document/beth Now the big thing that shocked me was when it opened the little window to save the file it showed the contents of the directory?!?!?!

I saved the file. and then went right back into save as, and it opened the window up and showed the contents with the new saved file in it?!?! I then tried to right click and copy a file out of the directory and it told me the network path was not available? Network path? Does it use the term network path for a local directory? And how could it not be available if I am looking right at it?

I can't copy the files, I can't delete the files, But I can save more files to it? I can't even delete the junk files I am saving to it.

I tried using command prompt to open this directory, and ran the atrib command to make sure it wasn't hidden somehow. It doesn't see the directly.

It is almost like somebody has created a network share and used windows odd way of pathing to fake the path to the network share. I can send data to the share, but I can't take data out of it. It's like its not really on the local computer but somewhere remote. I know I created remote drive shares in windows NT eons ago, something like \\ipaddress.port\path to destination. But how would you fake that to show up locally as c:\users\yadda\yadda\yadda?

Now that I type this, there is a way to see all the shortcuts or path statements, something that shows things like this, I don't remember what it was.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1137433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice