1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files and settings transfer software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dgbrad, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dgbrad

dgbrad Thread Starter

I have a client whos laptop has been totally destroyed. I have a cloned drive, but no laptop with the same hardware as the old one. The new laptop will not boot or repair with the cloned hard drive due to significant hardware differences.
    Is there a software that will migrate Files, Settings and Programs from the cloned drive to the new laptop? Both are Window 7 Pro. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dgbrad

dgbrad Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Acronis Universal Restore, Paragon Adaptive Restore and Paragon Adaptive Imaging Tools.

You can't transfer installed programs and system settings, but you can transfer the entire installation.

5. dgbrad

dgbrad Thread Starter

Does not apply, since I don't actually have on old (running system) it was destroyed, all I have is a cloned hard drive.
    I would love to just reinstall everything. I can probably at least find the name of all the software that was installed on the destroyed system from the clone. Problem is, the owner is overseas and I don't have all the program disks needed to install them.

Thanks for your reply.

6. Hughv

Hughv

What cloning program did you use?
    You should be able to select files/folders from the disk and copy them

7. dgbrad

dgbrad Thread Starter

Yes I can, but I'm not talking about just copying files. I wish it was that simple, but it's not.

8. Hughv

Hughv

Why not? I've done this many, many times, so you may be complicating things unnecessarily.
    Mail is usually the only complication. and that's easy to solve.

9. dgbrad

dgbrad Thread Starter

As I stated earlier the only issue I have is with PROGRAMS and SETTINGS.
    Data and even mail is simple.
    The owner is overseas and basically unavailable. I do not have all of his program disks to reinstall all of the programs.
    Of course the programs will not work if not installed properly.
    I have a fairly recent clone of the original laptop. Incase of hard drive crash all I would have to do is replace the hard drive
    with the clone, restore data from backup, running in a few minutes.
    The new laptop will not even see the hard drive without proper drivers (not present on clone) W7 will not even repair.

10. Hughv

Hughv

I thought you understood you're out of luck on the programs and settings.
    Clone are designed to re-image an existing install on the same hardware, otherwise they are often worthless.
    Transfer the files and wait until the owner is available to install the programs.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

The clone can be installed to any machine with any hardware using the tools I linked above. They strip the drivers from the installation and install new ones appropriate to the new hardware. I have used these successfully many times, most recently to transfer my Toshiba laptop installation to this desktop (with a new key since the old version was OEM - it needed other tweaks not usually needed due to special screen resolutions of the laptop, battery management, and other factors). If you need to do this sort of thing even twice a year, getting the tools would make it worthwhile.

But you would need to buy Universal Restore from Acronis as an add-on to other software. Paragon makes excellent software and it would be cheaper.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice