1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files and Settings Transfer Wiz Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by australiaman, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. australiaman

australiaman Thread Starter

I just upgraded to XP Pro and am currently trying to reload the File and Transfer wizard but keep coming across a problem. I used two iPods to back up through the F.A.S.T Wizard and when using them to reload the data. after loading disk one it begins to ask for disk 2 (ipod 2), i plug it in through USB and it tells me it is not the correct disk 2. The first one works fine but it won't load it from the second. I can view the file from the Ipod in my computer so i know its not corrupted. The information is from a hard drive that was just reformatted and nuked. How do I get FAST to accept it and read the file. I even changed the drive letters to make them the same , different , but didn't make a difference.

2. australiaman

Does anyone have any idea what to do about the issue?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Create a folder on your hard drive . . copy both of the files from the iPod into that folder, then point the FAST wizard to that folder

4. australiaman

I copied both the files into a new folder on my C:/ drive and ran the wizard, but it does not recognize the folder as having the files. It says "The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please enter a valid drive" What else should I try?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

6. australiaman

I downloaded fastconv but need help on the command line. The files are usmt2img.dat and usmt2img2.dat , do these need to be converted to normal compression because they were saved to removable drive or are they ok.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Beats me . . never had to do it . . I'd guess they would not need decompressing, but it's only a guess . . You could back them up somewhere and play with them

8. australiaman

Ok well I've been trying to get the command to work but haven't had any luck yet. Can someone write it for me for the extraction tool. The two files are " USMT2IMG and USMT2IMG2" They are located right on the C: drive inside "FastBackup" folder. They are the only two files inside the folder and the folder is directly inside the c drive. I want to save them on the c drive under a new folder called "dest" I also will use the "TEMP" on the C drive as the temporary folder if it is needed. I dont think there is anything that needs to be excluded. Can you write it for me based on that?

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Whaqt are the names of the two files you created?

Try renaming the folder you put the two files in to: USMT2.UNC

Then retry the FAST Wizard

10. australiaman

Tried renaming the folder and didn't work. It still says it does not contain stored information.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

I've not seen FAST create two folders before . . what are the names of the files in the folders?

12. australiaman

There aren't two folders. Fast put the file across two iPods and named them USMT2IMG and USMT2IMG2. I inturn took them off the iPods and put them into on folder on my C:\ drive under the folder name USMT2.UNC , and it still does not want to read the folder.
    Can someone help me write the commad for cmd for fastconv.The two files are " USMT2IMG and USMT2IMG2" They are located right on the C: drive inside "FastBackup" folder. They are the only two files inside the folder and the folder is directly inside the c drive. I want to save them on the c drive under a new folder called "dest" I also will use the "TEMP" on the C drive as the temporary folder if it is needed. I dont think there is anything that needs to be excluded. Can you write it for me based on that?

13. australiaman

is that enough information to write the command line?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!