1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files and settings transfer wizard problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimihedrex, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimihedrex

jimihedrex Thread Starter

hi
    I am having a problem after using the files and settings transfer wizard in sp2. I backed up apporximately 120gb of files and settings onto a new 160gb HD. I formated my old 160gb windows drive, re-installed windows and attempted to restore the files and settings from the new HD. It restored about 30% of my stuff. Most of my settings are correct but the vast majority of my files are not on my machine. I have tried several times and its always the same result. It says at the end of the process that 'the follwing files could not be returned to their original location and must be returned manually'. I think it then tries to unpack what it couldnt put back in its orignal location on to the drive where the backup data is located it then cannot unpack all of the stuff onto that drive because it runs out of space. What i need to know is if anyone has an idea of a way i can either unpack the 2gb .dat files windows creates individually or be able to see whats in them and possibly delete some. Or if there is a way to put it all on to some form of storage large enough to allow it to put all the unpacked data on the same drive as the packed data. Or perhaps a solution that will allow the data to unpack properly in the first place. Its such an infuriating problem as i know all my stuff is still there its just in a compressed format. Thanks for your time,

someone please help me.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

You could try coping the FAST image file to a folder on the new drive and restoring from there. . . then delete the folder.

wrs

4. jimihedrex

Its windows xp sp2, with an ntfs format.

5. jimihedrex

the FAST image was originaly put on the new drive, i am trying to restore from that. Sorry if i wasnt clear enough.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

and you are already out of space?

wrs

7. jimihedrex

Im almost out of space on the new 160gb, the original drive, c:, has 122gb free

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Move it to the old drive and see if you can finish the wizard from there . .

wrs

9. jimihedrex

I tried that already, with similar results. it doesnt have enough space to unpack to files it relocates as the backup files stay on the drive

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!