1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files and Settings Transfer wizard problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shagerty, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shagerty

shagerty Thread Starter

I have purchased a new PC at my office. I run the files and settings transfer wizard and place the files on a network drive from my old PC. Both PC's are XP Pro. The server I put the data to is running Server 2003. When I run the wizard on the new pc and browse to the folder it always tells me:

"the location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box"

I have been pulling my hair out with this. My new PC has only USB ports, no serial ports for a direct cable connection. The home network transfer option in the wizard is never available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. vorvas

vorvas

If its any consolation, I have the identical problem; it is actually stopping me from commisioning a new machine. I would be keen to know if you have had any luck with your query; judging by the thinness of the thread, probably not!

3. nitro237

nitro237

I am also having the same problem. Any ideas? TIA

4. nitro237

nitro237

Anybody ?

5. vorvas

vorvas

After DAYS of failure, I have just suceeded in transferring my Outlook Express stuff (inbox, outbox, etc. and ISP settings) to my 'new' machine (actually not new at all, but a new hard drive - but then the hard drive IS the machine).
    The crucial move seems to be to make the wizard on a floppy (I used the new machine) and to run the wizard from the floppy on BOTH machines, without invoking the wizard from XP on the hard drives.
    I transferred via a laptop which is on a home wireless network.

Phew!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!