1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files disappeared while transfering to external HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bpugh, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bpugh

bpugh Thread Starter

Hi,

So I was attempting to back up a folder on an external HD. I dragged and dropped the folder from my MacPro's HD to my external hard drive and it began transferring (as always). Next thing I know, I received a "can not complete" type of error. So I went to my macs HD to attempt the transfer again and noticed the folder was missing all of the files! So I went to my externalHD and the files were missing from there also! Please help!! These files are extremely important.

Can these files be recovered?

Mac Pro (2010)
    OS 10.8
    1TB HD
    8gb Ram

2. renegade600

renegade600

did you look in the trash? did you try the time machine?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    For future reference and to avoid just the sort of problem you now have: Never transfer, always copy. If the computer hiccups while you are transferring, you lose files. If the computer hiccups while you are copying, you start over because all the files are still on the computer.

4. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi bpugh,

Sadly, the best chances for recovering the files would be contacting a data recovery experts, however, that could pricy. @poldr gave you some good advice for the future, also I would like to add that if you have important information it is recommended to have at least two back ups and ideally the back up solutions to be stored in different locations.
    P.S. There are third party recovery software solutions, however, there is no guarantee that they will work especially in such cases. I cannot recommend any programs in particular, but other users might help you out in choosing one.

Hope it helps,
    Frost_WD

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does the Mac have an undelete - it may be an add on application.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Indeed, I forgot that!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice