Files disappeared while transfering to external HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bpugh

Hi,

So I was attempting to back up a folder on an external HD. I dragged and dropped the folder from my MacPro's HD to my external hard drive and it began transferring (as always). Next thing I know, I received a "can not complete" type of error. So I went to my macs HD to attempt the transfer again and noticed the folder was missing all of the files! So I went to my externalHD and the files were missing from there also! Please help!! These files are extremely important.

Can these files be recovered?

Mac Pro (2010)
OS 10.8
1TB HD
8gb Ram

plodr

Liz
For future reference and to avoid just the sort of problem you now have: Never transfer, always copy. If the computer hiccups while you are transferring, you lose files. If the computer hiccups while you are copying, you start over because all the files are still on the computer.

Frost_WD

Western Digital Representative
Hi bpugh,

Sadly, the best chances for recovering the files would be contacting a data recovery experts, however, that could pricy. @poldr gave you some good advice for the future, also I would like to add that if you have important information it is recommended to have at least two back ups and ideally the back up solutions to be stored in different locations.
P.S. There are third party recovery software solutions, however, there is no guarantee that they will work especially in such cases. I cannot recommend any programs in particular, but other users might help you out in choosing one.

Hope it helps,
Frost_WD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online