Files disappearing from laptop

Shortcutter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200625195355.000000+000
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (10 GB Free); D: 13 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 832A, ver 23.37, s/n PGNFNM4MY92VLU
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n CND7341KZY
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I am concerned that files are disappearing from my laptop e.g. my Pictures Folder is empty. Fortunately I have backups of a lot of them elsewhere but this is not the only folder that I am finding empty and I am losing work and much valuable time over this. Malwarebytes have run scans and report they can find nothing amiss so must I assume it is something I have unwittingly done to cause the problem.

I would be glad of any suggestions to try.

As maybe you can see from the download above I have an HP Microsoft laptop. I dont like Microsoft much (I inherited the laptop) and avoid Microsoft Edge so I opened a Local Account as well though I mostly use the Microsoft one. I use Google Chrome for browsing the web.

Open command prompt right click as Admin. Type in "chkdsk /F" and restart the PC. This command checks the hard drive for problems.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200625195355.000000+000
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (10 GB Free); D: 13 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 832A, ver 23.37, s/n PGNFNM4MY92VLU
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n CND7341KZY
What's the exact product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) on that HP laptop?

Its C: drive is about 96% full, so I'm guessing it's loaded with installed apps or personal data or both.
You need to do some de-cluttering and reclaim some free space in it.

You should also consider adding another 8 GB of RAM and run it with 16 GB.

--------------------------------------------------

Shortcutter

Thankyou to both. I will try chdsk /F again.

HP reference nos: Model No HP 250G6
SNBCNDS7341KZY
Product No 25Y44ES#ABU

Seems very likely my laptop is jammed with stuff as when my hsband died just over 2 yrs ago, and I took over his 2 laptops they were in a mess (he was obviously very ill and had deteriorated quite a bit before we realised). In middle of that my own personaI desktop died on me. Consequently I downloaded a lot of old backup stuff searching for information I had to have to cope with the ensuing admin. My own backups were on Macrium and though I had copied them to external HD I only had the reference numbers and I needed to access information from his in any case.

Anyway, I have learned a lot about computers since then but still floundering in many areas.
Extremely grateful to guys like yourselves who take the trouble to help complete strangers.
I would have gone round the bend without the help I have already received.

Re: disappearing files, I caught the flash of a notification today that someone or something was transferring files to "inet publications" - from my local account. This alarmed me. I searched This PC for inet publications and some at least of my missing pictures seem to be in there.

Any idea what is going on ?

How do I get 8 GB more ram ?
HP LAPTOP 250 G6 NOTEBOOK PC
HP details :

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
HP reference nos: Model No HP 250G6
SNBCNDS7341KZY
Product No 25Y44ES#ABU
You appear to have a HP 250 G6 Notebook PC.

The serial number and product number on it that you submitted are "not found" at the main HP support site.
It's my guess you copied or submitted them incorrectly.
Please recheck them and re-submit them so we can locate its assigned support site.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Shortcutter

Additional info: I tried cdsk again but same result so I tried sfcscannow and that worked and I have the log file if that would help. The scan found and fixed some corrupt files.

Shortcutter

Sorry I read them off the back of the laptop thro a magnifying glass.

I have asked a relative to check them with me. The results are
2 numbers neither clearly labelled Model No. 1) HP 250 G6 2) 3168ngw

The Serial Number (assuming that is what SN stands for) is: SN CND7341KZY

Product No is: 2SY44ES#ABU

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
CND7341KZY
2SY44ES#ABU
You have THIS HP 250 G6 Notebook PC which was purchased in August 2017 and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

Yours appears to have come with a 256 GB capacity M.2 solid state drive and 8 GB of DDR4-2133/2400 RAM.
Its RAM is not accessible and upgradeable, so that means you're stuck with it having only 8 GB.

It supports the use of a 512 MB capacity M.2 solid state drive.
It also supports the use of a 512 MB or 1 TB capacity 2.5" hard disk drive or solid state drive.
Unless you find a way to de-clutter its 256 GB capacity M.2 solid state drive, you should add a 2.5" drive.

Shortcutter

Sorry I read them off the back of the laptop thro a magnifying glass.

I have asked a relative to check them with me. The results are
2 numbers neither clearly labelled Model No. 1) HP 250 G6 2) 3168ngw

The Serial Number (assuming that is what SN stands for) is: SN CND7341KZY

Product No is: 2SY44ES#ABU
You have THIS HP 250 G6 Notebook PC which was purchased in August 2017 and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

Yours appears to have come with a 256 GB capacity M.2 solid state drive and 8 GB of DDR4-2133/2400 RAM.
Its RAM is not accessible and upgradeable, so that means you're stuck with it having only 8 GB.

It supports the use of a 512 MB capacity M.2 solid state drive.
It also supports the use of a 512 MB or 1 TB capacity 2.5" hard disk drive or solid state drive.
Unless you find a way to de-clutter its 256 GB capacity M.2 solid state drive, you should add a 2.5" drive.

Thankyou that is very clear. I started trying to declutter today. The problem I seem to be stuck with is that the laptop, when I took it over, was named LAPTOP- followed by for example QUIBBLE. Not sure if I should type in its name. My husband was obviously named as administrator though he only used it for a very short time. I needed to be able to access his records as he took care of the finances. But I needed administrative powers myself obviously, so I demoted him to standard and set up an admin user in my name. Unfortunately Windows 10 tagged my user name with the LAPTOP-QUIBBLE suffix. The source of quite a serious virus attack turned out to be some old backup files I had had to upload and although I deleted that User Name and set up a different account simply labelled with my initials Windows 10 seems still to be saving files under the QUIBBLE User ID which still appears on This PC`s direrctory.

Today I transferred all the files I could (W 10 is saying cant be done on some) to my current User Account and deleted. as I thought. the QUIBBLE one from the directory including a lot of desktop shortcuts. The result was that I lost everything on the desktop temporarily. Fortunately when I tried restarting the laptop the files in the bona fide User Accounts came back though most of the short cuts haven`t.

Does Tech Guy have a tutorial covering adding further GB to the laptop ? I will continue deleting duplicates but have become very nervous of doing it in a hurry as I need always to make sure I have backups that work. I can still at present check if files are saving to the old User Account but it is obviously very unsatisfactory.

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The name of the laptop has nothing to do with your ability to de-clutter its storage drive.
You can re-name the laptop whatever you want, and your ability to de-clutter its storage drive will remain the same.

Shortcutter

When I de-clutter by deleting what look like duplicates, I have lost information altogether. Files appear to be being saved randomly,which makes them seem lost, some of them turning up
in the old User Account folders I had not been using. I see from the enormous amount of stuff on the web about changing User Accounts and Folder names that it is a risky business even if you know a lot more than I do. I may just back everything up and start again.

I did discover from the HP support link you sent which folders are using the most space and that the intelpub files are log files, take up a great deal of space and can probably be wiped.
My son is going to help me with that.

Thankyou for your help.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online