Solved Files disappearing from laptop

Shortcutter

When I de-clutter by deleting what look like duplicates, I have lost information altogether. Files appear to be being saved randomly,which makes them seem lost, some of them turning up
in the old User Account folders I had not been using. I see from the enormous amount of stuff on the web about changing User Accounts and Folder names that it is a risky business even if you know a lot more than I do. I may just back everything up and start again.

I did discover from the HP support link you sent which folders are using the most space and that the intelpub files are log files, take up a great deal of space and can probably be wiped.
My son is going to help me with that.

Thankyou for your help.
Thanks

Shortcutter

In case anyone as muddled as I was (still am to a large extent) reads this, I have 2 accounts, a Microsoft Account linked to an Admin User Account and a Local Account linked to a separate Admin User Account. HP Laptop using a fairly old version of Windows 10.

Ref recent correspondence on this thread, sorry for delay in replying. Problems with login.. My son came over to help me and pointed out

a) that I was moving a lot of stuff backwards and forwards between User Accounts and Backup extension files and USB flash drives and it is too easy to lose or delete in the process. He advised to use copy and paste instead.

b) It is also very easy indeed to accidentally delete when using the HP laptop which has a very sensitive touchpad. Neither did I realise that deleting from Quick Access actually deletes files altogether until I saw a note I think by Brink warning about this.

c) In his opinion. I would be better avoiding using User Account Folders to access files and to use This PC instead when feasible. Though only files from the open User Account are accessible that way . I also discovered that because I had removed files and folders from my MJC Admin User Folder, the Money Programme could not save there, as the default I set up instructed, and was now saving to This PC. They appeared to "disappear" if I was accessing from the "wrong" User Folder.

I hope this ramble may help someone.

Please someone correct this if it is likely to mislead anyone. My son admits his job involves working with Unix and he is not very familiar with Windows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online