1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files+Emails+One Drive MISSING after Password Reset

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Gilganjun, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gilganjun

Gilganjun Thread Starter

Bit of a strange issue here - someone got fired from work and changed the password on the Windows 8 computer before they left. I just managed to reset the password yesterday but now the Outlook account has none of their previous emails and the One Drive account files seem to have all gone missing and many files and folders that were on the C: Drive are all gone and not in recycle bin either.

When I reset the password I noticed there were three accounts on the computer - USER (which is the one I reset since it was the default when starting up computer), ADMINISTRATOR (didn't touch this one) and GUEST (didn't touch this either).

AfterI reset the password, I'm pretty sure it was the right one as there were still a few relevant files still on the desktop. It's just everything else seems to have vanished.

When I search for certain files in the Explorer, file names come up but it says that "the file location has now been changed" so the shortcut doesn't work.

Did the person who got fired delete the files and One Drive data, is there a way to find out and to retrieve files? Or did the password reset somehow alter things with the account and remove the information, or am I somehow on the wrong account?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the employee deleted the files and emptied the recycle bin

I suspect you would not be able to retrieve the data files , only if you kept a backup of the PC somewhere

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

If you are the System Administrator for your company or organisation then I find it strange that you don't know this stuff and that you are asking these questions. If you are not the System Administrator then in what capacity are you asking these questions.

T.

4. Gilganjun

Gilganjun Thread Starter

That's what I'm beginning to think - the employee might have actually deleted her account completely by going to User Accounts and removing the account from there.

All the Outlook emails, her files, One Drive stuff is missing.

Is there a way to tell through the Event Viewer if the account has actually been deleted?

5. Gilganjun

Gilganjun Thread Starter

I'm sort of filling in because the IT guy recently left the company too. It's only a small office with 8 people so I'm doing the IT stuff at the moment and this is the first big problem we've run into now.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    look for an event ID 4726 (user account deleted) in event viewer

BUT if the use was deleted, then its not just the files you mentioned that would be missing

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

Are you able to explain why it is a "....big problem....". ?

Surely anything of significant importance to the company is backed-up to an external storage device..? I note and fully understand when you write that ".... its only a small office with 8 people ....", but that is no excuse for not having backups of important documents.

I get a sense that there is something else going on here which you are not being completely forthcoming about...:confused:

Of course you always have the option - if you want to spend the money - to get a professional company to extract the data from the HDD. Files that are "deleted" are in fact not deleted - it is just that Windows does not know where to locate them, so it is almost always possible to recover files - even after an HDD has been Formatted. But it usually costs eye-watering amounts of cash, so the files had better be worth it.

T.

8. Gilganjun

Gilganjun Thread Starter

I'm not purposefully withholding any info Tabvla, but I didn't think a company background was really necessary, I just have some computer problems which need solving.. but too explain further, if it helps you in some ways, it's just a small office with people playing different roles.. The "IT guy" basically searched on the internet to do fixes and error solving - he had several different roles and the IT side of things was just a small part of things (he was recruitment consultant, video editor, cameraman, photographer, and IT guy. There are 2 companies in the same office, owned by same person, and it's only 8 people. The companies are Event management and Recruitment consultancy..

I, too, am doing several different roles as the needs arise.It's just a small office which doesn't have the stringent policies about data that larger companies have so we haven't backed up the data - the employee who was fired had been there for over a year and was trusted.. I've been there for 8 months and the office is somewhat trusting of their employees - for example in my first 2 weeks of starting with the company they gave me the keys to the office and I would open the office every morning as I was the first one in due to having to call different countries (and different time zones) .. anyway.. it's too much to explain here.. but I appreciate your advice about the computer probs..

9. Gilganjun

Gilganjun Thread Starter

Thanks for that code "event ID 4726", I'm going to check that tomorrow.

What do you mean just the files I mentioned wouldn't be missing? I'm not sure I understand, please explain?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what version of windows are you running

if the user was removed , when you go into
    C: drive
    Users
    the user would nolonger be listed
    if they are still listed, and you have folders like appdata etc , then what folders are missing ?
    data backups , do not only apply to large companies, I suggest backups are in place for anyone with a computer where the data saved is important - lots of domestic users now are backing up.

So i would suggest a backup policy and system is put into effect quickly.
    you can also get some very good online backup now

So learning from this last experience , trust is very good, BUT backups are there for when a computer fails and the Harddrive is unable to recover any data.

What happens if the finance managers PC now stopped working because the harddrive had failed. How would the accounts be done?

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

Gilganjun, thank you for providing additional information relevant to your situation.

The TSG Rules are very strict when it comes to providing assistance to "hackers", therefore it is only reasonable to ask some questions when a situation raises suspicion that there may be some other agenda.

I believe your case is genuine. In the first instance you would do well to heed the advice given by my colleague Wayne (etaf), with regards to Backups. If you want assistance with creating a simple, easy-to-manage backup and system image strategy then please start a new Thread with that question and someone will help you. I have a tried-and-tested backup and system recovery strategy that works well in the small-business environment and will be happy to explain that strategy to you.

To resolve your current "problem" the first thing that we need to ascertain is whether this is a problem that is worth solving. Is the data on this laptop worth the effort and the cost in terms of your time. As you have mentioned, you do many things around the office. If it takes you a day to resolve this issue then that means that something else has to be put on hold.

If you really are convinced that the data on this laptop is worth saving then let us know and between Wayne and myself we will try to assist.

Normally, in a small business environment, when an employee leaves the company, their computer is reformatted, the OS reinstalled and the machine made good for the next person who will be using it. Is this an option in your case..?

T.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice