1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

files lost on restart

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cobbfifty, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cobbfifty

cobbfifty Thread Starter

I bought an acer laptop at a yard sale "new in box" ?
    It seems to work fine but if I save any files or photos and shut the computer down, when it is restarted those files are gone .All that is left are the sample pictures. It is running Windows Vista basic.
    Just for info, my wife is using the computer on a US Navy ship at sea, and any any attempts to fix it will have to be done thru e-mail. And she is computer iliterate...... Thanks Cobbfifty

2. Orumph

Orumph

Shouldn't they should have an IT guy there that can help her easier than this way.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What account is she logging in with?
    What type of account is it?
    What folder is she saving the pictures to?
    Does this only happen with pictures? Can she save text files, for example, in the Documents folder?

4. cobbfifty

cobbfifty Thread Starter

Did I mention that I just know enough about computers to be dangerous ? I have 20 years in radar and electronics but not much PC or software.
    OK that said.
    I don't know if or what kind of IT personnel are available out there.
    Next I believe her login account is owner /user ..
    No its is not just pics. I just used that as an example...... She has lost work files as well as pics. I got a tip from a friend to have her check the computer for a program called "deep freeze". I am waiting to hear back from her.. If not I will probably wait untill she gets home next month to post again. That way I will have the computer in front of me and it will be easier to answer any questions THANKs Cobbfifty

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since a "new in box" computer would not come with a program like Deep Freeze, the easiest, quickest, and most thorough solution would be to reinstall the entire system from either the recovery disks (which, if not provided at the yard sale, can usually be ordered from the manufacturer) or from a recovery partition.

You could spend a lot of time and effort trying to chase down solutions for who knows how many problems including malware, keyloggers, or other serious security risks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice