files missing/corrupted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

starchild

I have Windows 98SE

I just installed PRIMOpdf saver, version ONE (after putting in version 2 and learning it doesn't work with WIN 98- though their website doesn't say this. I tracked down the older version, which is okay with Win98)

It seemed to be fine till I went to save as pdf at the end and an error box (PRIMO) came up missing dll

It didn't say which one. I ran system file checker, setting it for the system files (dll included) It kept stopping, giving dll and exe files. I tried "restore from CABS" and it said it couldn't. (I don't know too much about this) After it got to 12 files missing and corrupt I gave up and stopped writing them down. They are dll and exe files.

I have an HP BRIO and the installation disk that came with it doesn't seem to have separate files, it has to fully install or nothing. I have a CD of Win98 SE files someone gave me (supposedly to restore separate files) but have never been able to use it. I point the file restore to it and it says it can't be found. I've downloaded separate files and restored them but there are so many this time.

There's an option I was once told using dos and "restore Windows through the cabs" which will restore the files, and not wipe out my programs and what I have saved, etc?

Would this work for me now? If it won't restore one file "from cabs" would this mean it doesn't have them (anywhere)? Or maybe if it all installs (again) using the dos method it will put them all back where they should be. And not wipe out everything else on the computer in the process?

Can anyone tell me what's best to do? This is an old computer and last year I tried reinstalling WINDOWS again (using the install disks, formating the C drive, etc) and it didn't install right, I had to do it several times, over days to get it working again.

I'm in the process of getting a new PC, so would rather just keep this one going for now and not wipe it out and start all over (putting things in, etc)

Thanks,
Carrie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online