1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files missing from portableHDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dopeskwyd, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopeskwyd

dopeskwyd Thread Starter

Hey guys, I've tried searching this but keep getting the same answers and they ain't cuttin' it.
    I've got a 500gb Seagate that I keep all my media on. Plugged it in a few days back, for the first time in about 3 months to finally back it up, only to find that the 2 folders with all my pics and videos are nowhere to be found.
    When I look at total used space it adds up to about 28.5g more than the files that are shown. This is already taking into account the space for the file system stuff and what not. I'm not sure how much data I'm missing but 28.5g sounds like a damn close estimate.
    I've done chkdsk, scandisc, show hidden folders, everything I can think of. The data size looks like that space is still being used but I just cant see it. Even running an AVG scan it only sees what can already see.

Anyone know what might be causing this kind of issue. I honestly don't care one way or the other about all my movies, tv shows and stand-up specials.....but my pictures are a bit more important.

2. dopeskwyd

dopeskwyd Thread Starter

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try TESTDISK and see if the folder entries have been corrupted. Don't write to that disk until you've found out what happened.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice