1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

files not in alphabetical for Open & Save

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MPeg3, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I have recently noticed (I know it didn't used to be this way) in any of my programs, when I click on File>Open or try to save into a list of folders, they are not in alphabetical order. I have to search through the entire list of folders to find the one I am looking for. There is usually a semblance of order in that some seem to be in order, but many are not and this usually seems to be the ones I am looking for. :confused: Is there a setting that might have been changed to cause this?

Thanks
    Peg

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Open a folder and click the "Name" heading to sort the files and folders by name (you might have to do this twice to get the desired order, ascending or descending). Then click Tools > Folder Options > View. Under Advanced Settings, make sure "Remember each folders view settings" is checked. If you want to apply the same settings to all folders, click the "Apply to all folders" button.

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I have my folders in Windows Explorer set to Name. Where my problem comes in is when I am in Word, Photoshop Elements or another program where I want to open a file with the program or save a file to a folder in My Documents. I click to open and my folders in that window are not in alphabetical order even though they are in order in Windows Explorer. Or, I want to save a file to a particular folder in My Documents or another folder with multiple folders in it. I click on Save or Save as... and the window that opens isn't in order. Hard to explain, but I hope this is understandable.

4. stantley

stantley

When you go into the Open/Save dialog box click on the view icon in the upper right and set the view to 'Details'. Click on the name column header to sort by name, set the view back to list (or whatever you use) and exit out. The next time you open the box it should retain the sort order.

5. Augie65

Augie65

Try this:
    Right-click Start button and click Explore and then click Local Disk (C:).
    On the View menu, click Details and then click the Name column to
    sort items by name, press and hold down the CTRL
    key, and then quit Windows Explorer by clicking Close in the upper-right
    corner of the screen while still holding the CTRL key. Release the CTRL key and
    restart your computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice