1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

files not saving?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lisa1234, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisa1234

lisa1234 Thread Starter

I'm not even sure if I'm posting this in the right area, but I'm not sure where else it would go....

I recently sold my computer to a good friend b/c my husband and I had purchased a new one. The one I sold is a Pentium 4, 2.6 ghz processor, almost 1gig of ram, dvd burner, etc... running windows xp

She is claiming I ripped her off, and sold her a piece of **** computer. The problem she is having is this: when she tries to download a file (primarily from Limewire), she says it isn't saving anywhere. I've walked her through choosing her destination folder over the phone, but it "still isnt working". ....

Now you can confirm this for me: Is this even possible? "saving" a file, but it's not showing up anywhere on the computer (so she claims). She's said shes even tried searching for it on her computer but it still won't show up.

She also claims this is MY fault: a result of selling her a "piece of **** computer".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if she's actually truely unable to save files, that would be a software problem, not a hardware problem, right?

She's now ended our friendship over this, and I'm hoping to get some answers from here to at least show her that I'm not full of it.

She even claimed she had paid someone from The Source $75 to come over and take a look, and apparently, he was going on and on about how I ripped her off and he couldn't even fix her "problem" for her.

Any thoughts?

*edited to add: when we sold it to her, we re-formatted and installed Windows XP (not legit, but she was ok with that), Avast antivirus, Alcohol 120% and MS Office 2007. She's also claiming that maybe we "screwed up the computer" by installing these programs, even though I am running the same ones on my new one without problem.

She is new to computers, and I am not.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Sorry but we cannot help with Limewire, illegal XP (and probably illegal Office 2007 too) problems here. If you value the friendship, you might offer to buy the computer back.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

4. lisa1234

lisa1234 Thread Starter

it has nothing to do with legit programs or not, i dont even know why i mentioned it. I'm not asking a question about those programs, my question is, is that even heard of: to "save" files but them not appearing anywhere, and if so, that is not a hardware problem... correct?

Can you get past the "illegal" program stuff and look at my actual question?

Thank you

5. 1002richards

6. lisa1234

lisa1234 Thread Starter

how did i sell illegal hardware?
    Of course I paid for my computer. I bought it brand new 2 yrs ago. The version of windows XP I put on it was a back up of a legit copy that a family member had made (so im assuming that'd make the copy I had not legit, even though it was a back up of a legit copy?)

ANYWAY. Again, the computer works fine. The programs work fine. Please answer the question from my first and 2nd post if you'd like to help.

7. bbearren

bbearren

I think you have your answers already...

8. 1002richards

Lisa1234,
    Frank4D has answered your question, here's the answer again - sorry but this is the wrong place to seek advice in these circumstances:
    From TSG Rules-
    "As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, or anything of the like. Furthermore, we do not allow instructions on how to complete illegal activities, such as pirating. Please don't ask for advise on using illegal software, as it will be removed."

Richard.

9. lisa1234

lisa1234 Thread Starter

holy geez! I am NOT asking for help with any of these programs!!!

Straighforward question: is it possible to save files and have them not appear anywhere?

10. bbearren

bbearren

Two questions for you:

How can one save files on a computer without software?

How can one get advice from TSG involving illegal software?

Both questions have the same answer: it can't be done.

11. lisa1234

lisa1234 Thread Starter

oh my god. enough already.

admin please close this thread or delete if necessary.

12. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Since you HAVE mentioned that you have pirated Windows XP, and since Limewire IS using software for illegal uses (plus it is spyware), then no, we cannot "get past" those facts.

Closing thread.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!