Files opening very slow - about a minute or so

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shavonne

I have two computers on a network and when we try to pen files, whether locally or over the network, it takes about a minute for he file to actually open, no matter what type of file it is. No error message, nothing. UNLESS we open the program (i.e. Word) first, and THEN open the file through the program, it opens fine. We have no virus scanners istalled to see if that would help, but it didn't and also performed a reg clean - well cleaned everything really and it's made no difference. Running XP. I'd GREATLY APPRECIATE any help.

Thank you!!

bonk

Banned
Howdy,

Defrag latey and emptied the Temp folders??

Take one PC off the network and restart the PC and then try....

Also try one in Safemode and see how it acts.

What kind of network is it, wireless or wired? What kind of router? Did it used to be faster and is now slow? Have you tried rebooting the machines?

Shavonne

I've tried defragging and emptying out the temp files and rebooting. I can't recall making any changes before this started happening. It's a wired network and we use Sonic Firewall - if that helps. I will try taking one off the network. Thank you for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online