1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

files present, have a reasonable size, do not open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smucker, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smucker

smucker Thread Starter

Pulling my hair out here...

I just got a new monitor, and while installing that accidentally uninstalled the network card. Whoops. Talked to tech support and they said I had to do a reinstall of Windows to get it back, pretty much. So I did, checking "keep files". All went well, until I tried to get into my files. I used to share this computer with others so all of my files under "My Documents" were unshareable under the old system - I'm assuming that's why, when I tried to get to *my* user data, it kept telling me no. After some searching, I found a webpage telling me to reboot in safe mode, go into the folder properties, and reset the owner of those files to my new profile. I did, and everything was restored - except that the files in My Pictures and My Music are all still unaccessible. I can get to them, I can view them, the properties show that they have sizes which seem reasonable for full, normal files - but when I open any of my photos I get nothing - in the Windows Picture and Fax viewer, for instance, I get "no preview available". I've tried renaming the files, moving them, copying them, e-mailing them - nothing. The music files are the same - look normal, but when I try and play them they open up as a 0 second music file. Name and info is available, but no music.

In short: any help vastly appreciated. This is the second time in two years I've lost my vacation photos, last year my camera got stolen :( Maybe I need to stop taking vacations. :(

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    As an aside, save all your pictures to CD or some other source, and then you can access them with almost any viewer...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice