1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files recovery after format

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by faucher_ma, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faucher_ma

faucher_ma Thread Starter

Alright I need someone's help here. I’ve just had a problem after window’s SP3 installation crashed. It didn’t had time to finish and at the time didn’t considered trying to re-install but next thing I know I can’t boot even in safe mode so I got a bootdisk for WinXP and started formatting my PC. So I’m back with a ‘’working’’ computer and I still see all of my old directories but can’t access them even when I’m using an administrator account. Every time I try to access a file from before the incident it says (path \ file name is not accessible. Access is denied). It would really help if I could save some of these files.
    Any ideas…

Thanks.

2. oldsaltoz

oldsaltoz

Lookup 'Taking ownership of files'.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. tiki_icwai

tiki_icwai

5. tiki_icwai

tiki_icwai

did u repaired your window or reinstalled it. If you repaired it then just go to the "Documents and settings" in the C:\ drive there you just select the user you used to login before crash there you select the My document and Desktop to get all the old files.

6. faucher_ma

faucher_ma Thread Starter

Thanks for hints, I finally managed to access them by changing permissions for the files.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771772