1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files/references remaining after deinstallation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Wendus, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wendus

Wendus Thread Starter

After having big problems with my computer, one of the culprits turned out to be a particular program, which I subsequently deinstalled. My one remaining problem was an adware/spyware file which kept putting itself in the Registry, and wouldn't be 'got rid of' no matter what. So, I replaced the Registry with an earlier one which I knew to be 'clean'.

This did the trick, and my computer is back up to speed and behaving as it is supposed to. But ... replacing the Registry meant that there were still references to the program that had been deinstalled.

I've been through both the Registry and the System.ini, deleting any obvious references to the deinstalled program, but still, when I restart, I get messages saying that either the Registry or System.ini is looking for files which aren't there any more. It doesn't affect the running of my machine, it restarts fine after I've 'hit any key', but how can I find these last remaining items which are looking for the non-existant files?

I've tried re-installing the rogue program, simply so that it could be deinstalled again, but it detects the remnants of the earlier installation and won't continue.

Er ... help!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What is the EXACT error message?

3. Wendus

Wendus Thread Starter

Not an 'error message' as such, but in the early stages of booting up, I get a DOS message saying that a file which is being looked for by either the Registry or System.ini is missing, and that it may have been deinstalled. It goes on to say try reinstalling the program (which I've tried, but can't do, as explained above). It then names the file it's looking for, followed by the DOS prompt.

I then hit the space bar, and get another message, exactly the same, but naming a different missing file. This happens about four times, after which the boot-up continues as normal.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Could you list the missing files?

Did you also look in win.ini to see if there are there? Also be sure that the autoexec.bat or config.sys files do not refer to them.

5. Wendus

Wendus Thread Starter

Hi again. Sorry for the delay in replying, but my system crashed and I've been offline since late last night, and only just got everything working again.

The missing files (which are something to do with the Norton program I deinstalled) are:
    1) c:\program files\symantec\symevnt.386
    2) symtdi.vxd
    3) d:\norton\norton\savrtpel.vxd

I've searched through absolutely everything ... registry, configs, systems, etc., and can find no direct reference to these devices, so I guess it must all be encrypted.

I've also booted in safe mode, and selected 'step by step confirmation', and it would appear that the request is not coming from the registry, but more likely from the 'load windows drivers' bit.

Wendy

6. 911

7. Wendus

Wendus Thread Starter

I'm very very grateful to you ... thanks a million, you're a pal!

Wendy

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice