1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files sizes on external hard drive shrunk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grifola, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grifola

Grifola Thread Starter

I have a 4TB external hard drive that I keep a lot of pictures on in many folders and also a lot of pdfs and other book and document files in multiple folders. I was gust getting ready to back it up on another hardrive and I noticed the size of the files I had stored on it shrank. For example the last time I backed up the drive the book file was 487GB and now it size is 309GB. I added files to it since the last back so it should have more that 487GB of info on it not less like it is showing. The photo take up 1.16TB and there seem to be no changes to the folder size with the photos. My WD passport says used spade 1.71TB Free 1.91TB. What could be going on? At first I thought maybe the hard drive went bad and lost info so I took a different laptop and checked an earlier backup to see if it looked ok and the same thing it showed shrinkage, then a grabed a 3rd laptop and checked my third backup and it was a different brand and same thing. I do not know what is going on or how to fix the problem

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Files are missing (check the number of files in the folder(s), not just the size used), the files have been compressed, or there is a HDD fault.

The HDD fault could show that files are missing, or the files are there, but they are likely no longer useable and likely reporting the wrong file size (thus the total is less).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice