1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files still exist but cannot be found...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elementcircle, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elementcircle

elementcircle Thread Starter

Hello. This is my first time here and I'm pretty desparate. I recently (about 2 days ago) did a non-destructive recovery on my laptop. I have an HP Pavillion Entertainment Notebook and run Windows XP Home. The tech rep assured me that my files and programs would remain intact and that the recovery would only replace the OS and system files. Well they were half right. A few of my programs seem to be MIA and/or there are missing .dll or other files so they won't run, or they programs appear to still be intact but when I try to run them, I get an error message saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

Also, my personal files (documents, music, video, etc.) seem to be missing.

HOWEVER...I have been all over my computer and the hard drive shows that it still has 32.3 GB of used space!!! This means that my files still exist somewhere, I'm sure of it. The only thing is, I run searches for them and they don't show up. Also, there is a folder located in my My Documents folder that I cannot access AT ALL. I cannot move it, I can not copy it, I can not open, explore, etc. The name of the folder is the same name of my old My Documents folder.

Could somebody PLEASE help me get my files back! I have about 3 years of research in those files and I really don't want to have to go about getting them back the hard way. And I don't want to put any more files on my computer since it is showing that the hard drive is still "full" (only about 2/3 of it though). Help!!!

Thanks in advance

Barret

2. guitar

guitar Banned

try system restore

3. gurutech

gurutech

If you've reinstalled the OS, check the
    C:\Documents and Settings\ folder for your username. Chances are that you will see your user name, and another folder with your username.computername. Check each folder's "My Documents" folder to see where your files are, and copy or move the files from that folder to the same folder under the other username folder.

4. unbidden

unbidden

I've seen this problem before. Go to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View tab - put a tic in 'Show hidden files + folders', just to be sure everything is in view. Then as far as the folders that are inaccessible go, follow the How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP Knowledge Base article.

Don't put yourself in this position again by not having a backup of your critical data.

Let us know.

5. elementcircle

elementcircle Thread Starter

Thank you so much! That was exactly what needed to be done. I have everything back again and I will be purchasing a case of blank CDRs this weekend to back everything up. (y) (y) (y)

6. unbidden

unbidden

Rather than the case of cdr's - look into a good ghosting program which in the long run may be cheaper and eaiser than backing up gig's of data. Acronis True Image for one, there are others.

Mark this one as Solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice