1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Files to delete:

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fren, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fren

fren Thread Starter

Greetings!

I upgraded my pc from WinME to WinXP. When I performed a disk cleanup, I found "Windows 98/ME Installation Files" option in the "Files to delete" window box. Is it also possible to delete this option?

One more thing:

Can I perform a WinXP clean install over FAT 32 file instead of NTFS file system? In this case, I can be able to change my OS anytime without restrictions.

Thanks!!!

2. fhaslangka

fhaslangka

Yes you can install into a fat32 although ntfs is much better....

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

As Fhaslangka has said, NTFS is the better file system for XP but I foresee a problem here. You upgraded so your XP disk won't necessarily allow you to reinstall because it won't, in itself, have a boot up facility so to reinstall, you may have to go back to ME, so it wouldn't be wise to delete those old files just yet. In fact, if you have a '98 or ME boot up floppy, keep it handy.

4. fren

fren Thread Starter

Hello fhaslangka and Saga Lout,

Follow up inquiry:

If I'll format my old WinME operating system and do a WinXP clean install by using FAT 32 file system, can I go back again to my old OS and what startup disk should I use to reformat the hard disk?

Thanks!!!

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Your best bet is the '98 or ME boot up floppy disks and at the A:\ prompt type format c:\ /s and this will prepare the hard drive for use as a system disk on a FAT 32 file system. XP will sit quite happily on FAT32 but if you partition your hard drive (using FDISK on the boot up floppy) you can then format the other partition in NTFS if you wish.

6. fren

fren Thread Starter

Hi Saga Lout,

Ok, nice explanation! I'll try!!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me..

Thank you

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!