Files won't read

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roadbum

Had to purchase a new notebook while on vacation, unfortunately it's OS is Windows 10 the old one was Windows 7, my desk top PC is also Win 7. I do a lot of writing and use works 9 off my desk top (the replaced notebook also read them) These are .wps files and Win 10 simply won't read them just a lot of strange looking code. Someone suggested downloading Office Libre to solve the problem but after doing that the program just sits there and doesn't seem to work Whenever I try to open the .wps files off the thumb drive Win 10 asks me what I want to open it with, (this is a first) It will only give me notebook or notepad plus something else Office Libre is not offered. Right now there isn't a whole lot on this new notebook, I'm seriously considering wiping the whole damn drive and installing Win 7, at this point the computer is useless to me and I don't really have anything to loose.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need an program that will work with files.
The best would be to install Works.

After the down load of Office Libre, did you install it?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Works isn't part of Windows 7 so removing Windows 10 won't fix anything. You still won't be able to Works documents until you install Works.

Works has been abandoned for a long time, 9 years ago. You'd be better off converting over to a more standard product/format such as Word or LibeOffice Writer.

You can use LibreOffice Writer to open your existing WPS files, use either the File and Open menu in Writer to select the file or right click on the WPS and choose Open With, then Choose Default Program, and select LibreOffice Writer.

roadbum

I know Works 9 has been abandoned, however it works fine on Win 7, does the job I need it to. For some reason Libre Office isn't installing on the notebook with Win 10, that's my problem it just sits there, I'd more than happy to use it, but something isn't letting it install properly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online