1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Filesharing issues on Multi-OS network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by networknewby, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. networknewby

networknewby Thread Starter

I'm not doing that bad for a blithering idiot, but I could do with some advice:

I have an ethernet network for ICS and file sharing, going through a DLink DI-604 with the following:

Host, XP Home, SP2
    Client #1, XP Home SP2
    Client #2, XP Home SP2
    Client #3 Win95
    Client #4, dual boot, samba (Mandrake 10.1) and Win2000 Professional

ICS is now working on both XP clients, the samba client, and the Win2K client, but not the Win95 client.

Win2K can be seen in "View Workgroup Computers" on XP host and client, but it prompts for a password which I do not know how to set. Its "Shared Documents" does not display in "My Network Places".

The samba client cannot be seen in "View Workgroup Computers", nor can XP client #2.

The host can see and access shared files on XP client #1 and Win95 client.

XP client #2 can see and access files on the host, XP client #1, and Win95 client but can't be seen by any other computer.

Win95 client can't see anything

Samba client can sometimes (but not today) see and access files on the host , XP client #1, and sometimes the 95 machine, but cannot be seen by any other computer. Ditto when it's booted in Win2K.

Any ideas? XP client #2 (the invisible one) also has two printers and a scanner which I would like to share.

2. blin

blin

this may help. quoted from http://www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm

How to setup home or peer-to-peer network

If all of the computers in a peer-to-peer workgroup don't have a common networking protocol, a common workgroup, and common user names and passwords, the computers may experience a difficulty to communicate with other computers that are running Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 95, or Microsoft Windows 98. To resolve this issue, configure the computers by ensuring that they have a common networking protocol (TCP/IP), a common workgroup, and common user names and passwords. Also make sure enable File and Printer Sharing is installed.

3. networknewby

I've got that, after more bumbling around than I care to admit. ;)

The Win2k machine only has one user (Administrator) so I do not have to type in a password to log into Windows. I did not install the OS myself.

As a samba client, it asks me for a password, which is the name of the computer.

Hmmm.....are we finally getting somewhere here?

Thank you so much for your time!

4. networknewby

Okay, now I have access to the Win2K machine; I set up a new Win2k account with the username and password from my XP machine.

Now what I need to do is edit the samba.conf file for the samba client so that the workgroup name is the same as the Windows workgroup.

When I attempt to do so, I am denied permission. Signing in as root in command line does not appear to change anything. I'm so close, and yet still so far away!

<cringe>

Thank you for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice