1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FileZilla Server

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tacoman359, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tacoman359

tacoman359 Thread Starter

I installed FileZilla server and ran it, but when I tried the Connect to Server thing, it wouldn't work whether I used my external IP, my DynDNS address, or my internal IP. It just said:

FileZilla Server version 0.9.25 beta
    Copyright 2001-2006 by Tim Kosse ([email protected])
    Connecting to server...
    Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds
    Error: Connection to server lost...
    Reconnecting to server...

many times in a row. I'm pretty sure Eset Smart Security is conflicting with this because I Googled it and saw this site with someone who had the same problem as me. I have tried disabling Eset's firewall and antivirus, allowing the TCP and UPD protocols for both directions, opening local and remote ports 21 and 14147 (the default FileZilla port), adding 192.168.1.109 (my static internal IP) and my external IP to Trusted Zones then adding Trusted Zones, DNS Servers, Networks automatically marked as untrusted, and Local addresses for the list of allowed Remote addresses. I've selected the application FileZilla server.exe. I have correctly port forwarded my router (a WRK54G) with ports 21 and 14147 (both directions) using 192.168.1.109. When I type ftp://192.168.1.109/ into my web browser, it asks me for a username and password, but I couldn't set one because I can't connect...

I've done everything that I can think of so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

ftp://192.168.1.109/ is your network address. If you are connecting over the internet, you need to use your external IP, not the one that is only used inside your network.

3. tacoman359

I know... I can't even connect locally. I've already tried my external IP, but I get the same results.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It still sounds like the firewall. Can you connect to anything with an FTP client?

5. tacoman359

I can establish a connection, but I can't login because I haven't and still can't setup a username and password. My firewall isn't popping up with anything about a connection, so I don't know what's happening. Gene6 FTP Server Test can also connect, so all I need to do is configure the firewall to allow me to connect to the FTP server through the actual server itself.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why can't you use the server's interface to set up the account? Is the service running?

It uses ports 14000 and 52513 in both directions (unless I changed it and I don't think I did).

Try something like CurrPorts to see what it is up to.

7. tacoman359

There was only one port when I installed FileZilla: 14147. I opened that one and 21 in both my router and firewall. CurrPorts tells me that when I connect I use remote port 5500 and local ports from anywhere to 50000 to 60000. I've opened ports 50000 to 60000 and allowed them in my firewall, but I still could not connect using the FileZilla Server Interface. After I did this, my firewall actually recognized FileZilla server in the logs. It said this:
    4/15/2008 3:01:04 PM Communication allowed by rule 192.168.1.1:51501 192.168.1.109:21 TCP FileZilla FTP Server C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\FileZilla server.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    and
    4/15/2008 3:01:04 PM Communication allowed by rule 192.168.1.1:51501 0.0.0.0:21 TCP FileZilla FTP Server C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\FileZilla server.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
    My firewall still doesn't recognize FileZilla server, though.
    Any more ideas?

8. tacoman359

I'm still looking for a solution that doesn't involve uninstalling Eset Smart Security.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice