1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fill form on external web site VB.Net 2003

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by iamaran, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamaran

iamaran Thread Starter

First of all, I'm a beginner in VB.Net 2003.

What I want to do is fill in the fields of an external website with data from a local database. A bit like Roboform or the "autofill" in Google toolbar, but linked to a database.

I have written the search and record retrieval part so upon entering a reference number, the relevent details come up. I now need to get these details into the relevent fields on the external website.

This is a completely external website, over which I have no control but I do need to fill in the form over 100 times a week.

Could anyone point me in the right direction here?
    Many thanks.

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi iamaran,

It may be a good idea to develop an engine able to fill forms on remote websites but I guess there's no website manager who will tolerate it, knowing that such engine could be used to choke a website.
    ;)

3. iamaran

iamaran Thread Starter

Hi Chicon. Yes, I guess so.
    But I cannot be typing in record after record manually when the data already exists in my database! I have made the connection to the db and the data is displayed in text boxes on the form. I now need to pass these values to the external web page. But how? Thanks.

4. Chicon

Chicon

I will make the things clear.
    You must understand that we can't provide you with a help which is on the verge of illegality.
    We don't want to learn that a website has been brought down because someone with bad intentions has gotten precious informations from this forum.
    Also, it may be a waste of time as many website managers are taking their precautions against any kind of attacks.
    BTW, I suggest you to do it manually : afterall, 100 times a week, it is not as you have to drink a whole ocean.

5. iamaran

iamaran Thread Starter

On the verge of illegality?
    I just want to fill in some names and addresses on a website that already exist in a database! And learn a bit about Visual Basic whilst I'm doing it.
    Okay, so some people may use this illegitimately, but most things can be used for purposes other than for which they were intended.
    Anyway, thanks for the input.

6. Chicon

Chicon

I didn't question your honnesty, I simply put the fact that as this forum is opened to the public, we can't provide any help that may be used as a tool to harm others' materials.
    You should contact the website manager of the site where you want to fill forms and find an agreement with him on the way to transfer your data because you can't act simply act behind his back : if something goes wrong on his server, make sure if he will head first to check the logs.

7. dcheung9988

dcheung9988

Hi,

Did you get any luck on this? as I'm new to VB.NET and as a project, I'm trying to do similar things, capturing data and then doing autofill on a form...

it would be a great help for me if you can share any information that you have managed to get hold of on how you tackle this.

Thanks
    David

8. iamaran

iamaran Thread Starter

Sorry David, no.
    I have a dozen projects on at the minute and since I am making no progress I am working on other things.
    If anyone has any inspiration, helpful links or whatever, I'd be grateful if you'd please pass them on.

9. dcheung9988

dcheung9988

Hi,

Do u have an email address? I can email you what I've managed to do so far, it might help u.

David

10. Rockn

Rockn

If it is forms on someone elses web site it will be a problem. If it your site pulling data from your database it should be no problem. It will not work the fill forms on an external web site as this is a security issue that most if not all browsers do not allow anyway.

If it is your site and your database you will still have to enter the data somehow....regardless. If you import it you will still have to enter it into something prior to the import process. There really is no way around the data entry portion.

11. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Can you give us some live examples of use?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice