1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Film Negative Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by connie189, Nov 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. connie189

connie189 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been going through my photos and film negatives.

Is there a way to get a picture printed without giving up the negative?
    It seems photo places will send out your negatives for processing, but the developer won't return them like they used to.

I was wondering also why they don't return them, and what happens to your negatives (property).

Also, is there a way to view the negative without buying a negative strip reader (light machine).

Thank you :)

2. britekguy

britekguy

I would never, ever hand a negative to any processor that did not ensure its return. I've never dealt with any photo printer that didn't return negatives.

There are ways to digitally process negatives into photos, and many high-tech commercial photo processing shops, even local ones, have these and can produce a print while you wait. These may not be quite up to the standard of regular print processing, but it's generally way more than good enough for old snapshots.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Got a cell phone or digital camera ???
    All you need is a Light Source > Diffuser > Negative ... And take a picture of the negative.
    Post the picture here and one of us with Photoshop can recover the picture.
    I'd try a sheet or 2 of White paper > The negative > On a window on a sunny day.
    Or I can make you a white Picture and use you Monitor for White light source.

Attached Files:

4. connie189

connie189 Thread Starter

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you have a Motophoto near you?
    We gave them a picture that was on a wooden board that was encased in "plastic" (not sure what it is encased in) and they managed to give us reprints from this. It was an ancient picture of my husband's grandmother. (My husband is in his mid 70's). It's the only picture he had. No smaller prints and certainly no negatives. He wanted to pass out prints at a family reunion.

Try a photograph studio and not a drug store. They are better equipped to do unusual requests about ancient pictures, pictures with no negatives, etc.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    But your not having (film processing) done .....
    Your having prints made from the negatives,
    They should be able to return the negatives with the prints.
    I'd go to their photo Dept and ask

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice