1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

filtering by date with an Outlook rule

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by theDrew, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theDrew

theDrew Thread Starter

hi all - new to the forums, hopefully someone can help me!

I need to save copies of certain sent email messages into different folders. Messages should be deposited into different folders depending on a number of criteria. One criterion is the year in which the message was sent. How can I include a date criterion in a rule? Can this be done without using server side script?

Thanks!

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi theDrew,

because you can only have rules for Inbox and Sent, and there is no Date criteria rule for Sent ----
    this is a long winded manual way, in essence:
    copy all the Sent folder e-mails to a Save Folder as a backup,
    then copy the e-mails to temporary folders having selected by Year,
    then delete all e-mails from Sents
    then copy each Year Folder's e-mails back to Sents so that you can apply your other rules to them.
    (repeat empty Sents and Copy Year Folders / Apply Rules for each Year).

Steps:
    first sort your 'Sent Items' by date (each click on the Sent tab will toggle the sort ascending or descending),
    (if you don't have the Sent tab i.e. column heading, then right click on the heading line, select Field Chooser from the drop down, then scroll to Sent and drag it to the Column Headings)
    then manually select your e-mails with scrolling according to your Year (left click the 1st e-mail, shift + left click the last) and copy to new temporary Year-Sent folders (create these first)

Put your Year specific e-mails back into Sents one year at a time and apply your other rules.

lol
    Hew

3. theDrew

theDrew Thread Starter

I could do that, but I need to install this rule on 3 other user accounts. I need it to be fully automated. Is there no way to automate this?

4. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

I would suspect only with scripting.

You can export / import rules though!

That's the best I came up with when I had a similar requiremensome time ago, it's no consolation to say it would have been best to move all last year's sent e-mails to a Year Folder at the end of last year and do this every year!!!

Sorry the best I can think of.

BR
    Hew

5. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi theDrew,

Here's a variant that you could play with, I think it's less work but still manual.

Your problem is you don't have a date criteria when applying a rule to Sent, so how about
    1. Move your existing Inbox e-mails to another temp folder.
    2. Move your Sent e-mails to your In-Box
    3. Create a rule from scratch against In-Box including a date selection, which will have to be based upon Date Received (as you can't use Date Sent) and assume this is near enough.
    4. Run the new rule Now option.
    5. Ensure that no e-mails are being received during the above, Move the saved In-Box e-mails back afterwards, and delete the rule if it's no longer required.

good luck
    Hew

6. theDrew

theDrew Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice