1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Final Fantasy 7 PC help.

Discussion in 'Games' started by FailingInsanity, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FailingInsanity

FailingInsanity Thread Starter

Hi there,

I know this may have been posted a while back so I apologise. I have FF7 on the EA Classics series and have been trying for a while to find fixes for running it on Windows XP.

I have tried various things including using a Guide.

I have installed various patches including the 1.02 1.03 and 1.04 versions, have modified the sound and installed the various movie fix patches for it.

Now, on to my problem.

Using the guide I did everything it asked for except the sound packs. The game installs fine and configures well using the 1.02 patch. Now, I insert my Disk 1 and the computer registers it as 'View Movie Files' disk. So I click cancel and the run FFVII.exe. The computer does not even attempt to autoplay anything from the CD drive for the opening movies or anything, So I cannot view the opening movies, just getting a black screen. I can skip the screen so it goes to the New Game/Continue? screen. I can happily go up and down on this screen between the two options but when I click new game I get another black screen, again, my CD drive does not do a thing so I have to alt-tab out and ctrl+alt+del.

The process is responding I just get nothing apart from a black screen. I am going to look into running it on a virtual machine instead to see if that works but I wondered if anyone using Windows XP (SP3) can tell me if they have managed to run their copies of it successfully.

My Specs are as follows:
    E5200 @ 2.5Ghz
    4GB Kingston Hiper-X RAM @ 800Mhz
    512MB XFX HD 4850
    Asus P5Q-PRO Mobo
    Seagate Barracuda 250Gb HDD
    Realtek Onboard Sound

Windows XP Service Pack 3
    Direct X 9.0c

Thanks.

2. Luc1d

Luc1d

I was able to run FF7. If I remember right, didn't it come with a configuration utility for sound, video, and game controllers ? Have you messed around with that at all ?

3. FailingInsanity

Yeah, it comes with a pre-installed one which doesn't detect your real Graphics Card until you patch it to the 1.02 patch. It works fine after that.

I haven't looked on the disk yet to check if there are any more apps on, but I doubt it.

It's a problem that is really annoying me at the moment.

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

By "various movie fixes" you mean you tried the codec pack the guide suggests?

If it's the movies I think its still a codec or video driver problem.
    How long do you wait for a new game to start? Do you hear the sound at all?
    reason I ask is, there is a pretty long opening movie with the train. If you were to keep hitting the "accept" button (whatever you configured it to be) I wonder if you could get through the movie and be able to play. FF7 isn't quite as good without the movies but it can help narrow movie only trouble.

I don't know much about ffdshow but know it's a video/audio converter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffdshow
    Maybe it will help decode the game. ?? :confused:

Fond memories of this game, I just hear such stories of how bad the PC port of it is. Makes me glad I saved my PS1. :D

5. FailingInsanity

Yeah, I've even installed Ffdshow and uninstalled Truemotion 2.0. The disk doesn't even spin when the movies try to play, so I have no idea what is wrong.

Someone suggested making .iso files of all the disks, but I don't know how to do it safely.

Any more ideas?

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Edited by Cookiegal: (Too much information)

Wow really? OK, sorry. guess the rules got a little stricter. Point taken.

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    we also don't allow suggesting cracking as a solution. Do not suggest such again.

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

All right. So how else to test it. Lets see.

The disc wont spin up at all for movies.
    I wonder.... Could you start the .exe without the disc in, then insert it when it asks? Would it maybe see it better.
    Or Get to the new game menu, have the tray ejected (with the disc still in place) then start a new game. See if the tray closes or if it asks for the disc.

Wonder if something is locking the drive.... Or if the installation even needs to read the movies from the disc.

9. Luc1d

Luc1d

if all else fails, try using the game config utility to set render mode to software.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!