1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Final Fantasy 7

Discussion in 'Games' started by angel, Jul 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

First of all, I am not a gamer but I am trying to help a friend.

Final Fantasy 7, installed game and associated components (DirectX 5.0, Movie Player, and Yamaha Software Synthesizer). Install went fine, rebooted, and tried to start game but no go. For a split second you can see a small box pop up and go away but that's it. Installed DirectX 7 but didn't help. Documentation with FF7 states that they can't guarantee it will work with Windows 98 because they designed for Windows 95.

Windows 98SE
    Celeron 400
    64 MB RAM
    SB AudioPCI 128D
    Tried on my computer also with same results.
    Windows 98
    Celeron 366
    96MB RAM
    SB AudioPCI 64V

I realize these are not very good systems and maybe its not even be possible to run the game on either. Hoping maybe someone has some answers.

Not really sure what other information will be pertinent but will be more than willing to answer any questions.

Thanks!!!

------------------
    Get paid to listen to music online!
    http://www.radiofreecash.com

2. TheGorx

TheGorx

First of all never install directx from
    a game CD.
    unless you live in a cave.

Win98 had most likely Directx7 already
    As for the rest of the stuff I don't
    know yamaha software?
    I haven't tried this game so I don't know
    But when I install a game I just install
    the game.
    The rest could be out dated.
    And there could be some filetype association
    problems.
    I know with a new quicktime I had to manually do this in the
    setting
    folder option
    file types
    to work with jeopardy
    or else use the old quicktime on the disk

So anyway try using
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE

and try dirctx checker
    and file checker
    then goto the website of the game
    they have to make it work
    that's what they have to do.

TheGorx http://www.geocities.com/thegorx/Windows/index.htm

[This message has been edited by TheGorx (edited 07-03-2000).]

3. RandyG

RandyG

This is not a guarantee, but on a lot of systems I've seen, Some games have a problem installing, or running, if MSWheel is active. Before attempting Install, Push Ctrl+Alt+Delete, remove MSWheel, then install. Should run well.

DirectX 7 does come as standard in Win 98SE

I would definitely visit http://www.eidosinteractive.com/techsupp/index.html and at the bottom left, select Final Fantasy VII. This is the official support site for that Game.

4. SleepingLionheart

SleepingLionheart Account Closed

I had the same problem with GTA 2.

I spoke to Take 2 tech and they could not help. The problem could be a system file for sound and graphics with DirectX that is corrupt.

I did slove the problem by doing the Windows 98 setup (not formatting or anything, just the setup), which will overwrite your system files.

*MAKE SURE THE GAME IS UNINSTALLED FIRST!*
    You will need to download and install the up to date drivers for your sound and graphics card as well(which I think needs to be 3D for that game).

DirectX 7 could be the problem too. I had trouble with that too. Windows 98 SE should have version 6.2a, not 7. Try installing version 6 instead. If you have installed DX7 you will not be able to uninstall it, and if there is a problem with DX7 you are stuck and will have to redo the setup.

You can get that from a recent game like Final Fantasy 8 to install DX6.

Fimal note on DirectX, it will notify you if you are installing an older version of DX than the one you have on your machine and will not install it. So no worries there.

When you have installed your up 2 date drivers and DirectX, reinstall the game and *hopefully* you should be fine.

email me at [email protected] if you still need help.

[​IMG] C YA!

5. lavigne

lavigne

I've got FF7 on my system and it's inferior to either system that you mentioned you tried the game on (300Mhz celeron, 64 mb ram, Voodoo Banshee video). I didn't bother with the direct X 7 since Win'98se uses DX6.1, which is good enough, and I installed the Yamaha Midi drivers and movie player.

The game runs fine. I do get some problems where the game "appears" to quit after getting a screen to pop up for a second or two. Check your taskbar for a minimized program called "default". If it's there, just maximize it and your game should play normally.

The other thing to do is run FF7 config. from your Start>programs>ff7 directory. It sets up your game according to the system you have. There's a check list stating whether or not your system passed all of the graphic and sound tests. It's a good place to start trouble shooting. If you don't do this before trying to run the game, you can run into problems much like you've stated.

Let us know if this helps.

[This message has been edited by lavigne (edited 07-30-2000).]

6. NormanSmiley

NormanSmiley

This seems like a video card problem.

Angel- What video cards do each of those systems have installed? You might not have enough video memory to play FF7. If you do, then download the latest drivers for your cards and do a clean install of them.

------------------
    NormanSmiley
    http://zuzumonk.20m.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!