1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

final Fantasy XI upgrade ?????

Discussion in 'Games' started by acetrouble8, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acetrouble8

acetrouble8 Thread Starter

i bought and installed ffXI today. installed the disks, set up play online account, and now when i select play it takes me to this upgrading Final fantasy Xi and its been doing it for like an hour and its only 3% done!! what the heck is it! it doesn't say anything about an upgrade in the manual! why is it taking so long!

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

What internet connection do you have?

My friends who play that game say the updates take a very long time, and they are all on cable internet.

From what I remember hearing, there have been several updates; each individually take several hours.

So it may take a while.

3. acetrouble8

i have a good cable connection, its going so slow! but if its normal i guess i just have to wait. i was just wondering if it seemed abnormal to anyone who has played the game. I wanted to play tonight but i dont think it'll be done until tomorrow. Cant imagine it on dial up, must take a week!

4. Kramer55

Kramer55

Yea, I just talked to my friend, he says it is going to take a while.

Be patient!

5. acetrouble8

it sucks but at least its working right -thanks a lot for the input

6. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

tell us when it gets done...how much time it took........

7. haplo210

haplo210

The reason for this is a) you are updatiing everything since your version of the game was released (there is an update every few months, so thats alotta changes)

and B) due to every1 having difficulties getting this update and all the players who havent gotten it are still trying.

reason b is caused byu reason c)From:playOnline
    Apr. 15, 2005 16:48 [GMT]

Technical Difficulties Due to Third-Party Attacks

This is an announcement about PlayOnline network technical difficulties since Apr. 9, 2005.

It has come to our attention that recent technical difficulties with our PlayOnline server are due to a DDoS from anonymous third parties. We have determined that this activity was undertaken with malicious intent and specifically targeted our network. Our technicians are taking every measure possible to prevent further attacks. However, attack methods have varied, which has caused a more time-consuming review of our network protection.

Currently we are unable to determine the precise source of attack. However, with the cooperation of ISP companies, our investigation continues to make progress. Law enforcement authorities in Japan, the United States, and Europe have been contacted for support.

We chose not to make an announcement of this nature earlier due to the unwanted effect it could have on our investigation, on the investigations of authorities abroad, and for stopping information that could be used to undertake additional network attacks. The most recent server difficulties and PlayOnline service interruption, however, have persuaded us to disclose more information on this matter to our users.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience these attacks have caused in recent days. Attacks continue at this hour in intervals and we regret that our investigation cannot allow for estimates as to when we expect service to return to optimal levels. Our technicians will continue to select the most effective measures available as we work with local and international authorities to take legal action against those obstructing PlayOnline service. We ask for your understanding and cooperation as we strive to maintain the best service possible. Thank you.

which is still casuing a lota trouble...take last night when 15 servers went down for 3 hours for emergency maintenance.

It is a great game though, and well worth the wait.

I hope you get it sorted though and if you need any help, give us a holler in the random FF thread http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2551034#post2551034 I try and keep posting updates of how folk are doing etc..but been bogged down with uni work etc the past few weeks, i really should update it tho from POL website...after all the update was 4days ago now ><..hmm.

Anyway, if your ingame and need anyhelp then if your on bahamut /tell touvont or /t kutu if not then /befriend one of them and talk to me ^^, i live in vanad'iel so ill no doubt be around (wireless connection depending)

8. acetrouble8

The final update time was about 22 hours But the game seems pretty good

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    :) I had the same problem. I had to wait for 2 hours before my updates were done (this was all the updates before the last one). But the last update took longer because everyone else was going online to download the updates, hence why you got 22 hours. I got about the same time on my dial up.

10. acetrouble8

i tried to sign on earlier today and the server was down, now i can sign on but its performing another update! What the hell! this game seems cool but every time i try to play its another problem!

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ahh you have two updates, one for the POL screen (the software to load FFO) and then you have FFO itself. You can check on the offical site to see what servers are up or down.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!