1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finally, Nobel hits the mark

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by LANMaster, Oct 10, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

I'm happy to see this lady win the Nobel Peace Prize.

Her struggle embodies what I believe the Peace Prize to be all about. And since I have oft been critical of the committee's decisions as being polkitically motivated, there's no denying this woman's right to the prize. IMO

Link

TEHRAN, Iran (Reuters) -- Iran's first woman judge before the 1979 Islamic revolution, Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi's work as a human rights activist has landed her in jail and seen her branded a threat to the Islamic system.

A vocal campaigner for women's and children's rights, Ebadi, 56, has acted as defence lawyer for a wide range of political activists, earning a reputation for taking on cases others were too afraid to touch.

"Any person who pursues human rights in Iran must live with fear from birth to death," she told the Christian Science Monitor in a 1999 interview.

"But I have learned to overcome my fear," she said.

The country's first woman judge, Ebadi was prevented from continuing in that role after the Islamic revolution when Sharia law was enforced. Women were too emotional and irrational to pass judgment in the courtroom, Iran's new leaders said.

Now a lawyer, writer and part-time lecturer at Tehran University, Ebadi has spent much of her time since the revolution campaigning for better rights for women and children in her native country.

She argued passionately that Sharia law could be adapted to modern times without undermining religion in the officially Shi'ite Islamic Republic.

"The legal keys that Shia religion has given us enable us to transform and act according to the times," she wrote in a recent article.

Ebadi found herself on the wrong side of the law in 2000, when she was accused of disseminating a politically-explosive videotape of a violent Islamic vigilante group member who confessed to links with conservative politicians in Iran.

That incident landed Ebadi in Tehran's notorious Evin prison where scores of political dissidents are held.

In solitary confinement there, she wrote: "Angrily I am trying to write on the cement wall with the bottom of my spoon that we are born to suffer because we are born in the Third World. Time and place are imposed upon us. So let's be patient as there is no other choice."

Reformist political analyst Saeed Leylaz said Ebadi had "provided a lot of legal help to political prisoners and those who had activities supporting reforms."

"I'm very excited as an Iranian and I congratulate her," Leylaz said. "I hope it helps to push reforms forward in Iran."

2. Paquadez

Paquadez

Agree with that, Lan.

I was also delighted (at last!) for the British scientist who co-developed MRI Scanning, to be recognised.

Paq

3. oldie

oldie

Well said guys - and well done well deserved Shirin Ebadi [​IMG]

4. plschwartz

plschwartz

LAN
    Thanks for this post and congrats to this wonderful lady
    The Nobel committee pulled this one out of a hat.
    Somehow I feel that the Pope is not sorry at the elevation of such a dedicated worker for human rights. I am sure that there is a reward in heaven for this man who single-handedly put an end to Polish jokes:)

5. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Mark this on your calendar Lan! I agree with you! :D

6. Paquadez

Paquadez

Heh!

All it takes is a little humanity and some well deserved recognition for REAL achievers and well, suddenly, TSG becomes a far more civilsed place itself.

Perhaps we ought to nominate, on a weekly basis, a TSG member who creates harmony?

Paq

7. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I nominate Paq! :D

8. Paquadez

Paquadez

And I nominate Angel!

Paq

9. Cédric

Cédric

I'm really happy about this Nobel Prize. Hope it helps to change things...

10. oldie

oldie

I nominate both Pag and Angel - have only been here a short while - but both have made me feel welcome [​IMG]

Thanks guys - oldie

11. oldie

oldie

Let us also remember another Nobel Peace Prize winner - a lady by the name of Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma [​IMG]

Regards - oldie

12. Paquadez

Paquadez

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Blush, Blush, Blush

Paq

13. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

I'm just delighted that the Nobel Peace Prize (which I feel is probably more important than the Nobel science prizes) was awarded without a political motivation. And indeed rewarded to a true person of peace. Not just a whiner, but an activist without an ulterior motive.

A truly selfless person

14. Paquadez

Paquadez

I totally concur with that statement, Lan

Makes a refreshing change.

Paq

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

What's the point--Mulder would win every week! :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice