1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Find duplicate images?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by StumpedTechy, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Well I have a quandry. We have all of our digital pictures on our server. This spans back about 4 years now and each month we have a new directory.

As you may be able to tell we have quite a collection - over 6,000 files (including all of my scanned in old pictures that are over 25 years old)

The biggest problem I have is my WIFE has decided that the pictures (that we take with a large resolution for keeping) then resizes them and renames them IN THE SAME DIRECTORY! It drives me nuts because after she sends them out she does not delete them so now though I esitmate we have about 6,000 files theres actually about 8,000 pictures in the different subfolders.

What I need to know is if there is any program out there that will determine duplicate picture content. I would perfer it to find it on subfolders as well but if it only checks one directory that would be fine as well.

I am thinking this is a longshot but figured I would ask as for me to do this manually will be a BIG project and alot of time on my part.

Actually I am starting to think about making the directory and subdirs read only to her :)

2. mlautens

mlautens

If the images have been altered, then I am sorry but there is no program I can think of - or have even HEARD of - that can determine if two photos are the same. If they are simply RENAMED, I can make suggestions, but you said RESIZED. That's game over, as it makes them different files.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    any chance they mau have been saved with a different ext ie as .jpg
    OR
    you could search the drive for filesize - if they are resized they should be smaller
    anything less than xxxKB

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Yeah I thought about the size thing but the only problem is some of the pictures my wife resized the original thus ruining our large original. As far as different file names we have only been using jpeg. What I was hoping was some kind of image comparrison software where it may just look at a few items within an image and check the other ones (becaue the one thing I know she doesn't do much of is crop).

*sigh thanks for the thoughts though* this read only network drive is sounding more and more like the route to go. I am sure I have aot of hours worth of cleanup all that could have been avoided with a simple save to another dir.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. mlautens

mlautens

Fascinating! That software from www.bolidesoft.com compares images of different sizes, resolutions, and content. It evaluates a percentage of similarity. You know, for the low cost ($20), that's the kind of program I could use myself from time to time.

There's one to remember...

7. hewee

hewee

It would be best when you resize the images to keep the file name but add X600 or what ever width you made the image.

That way you can do a search on StumpedTechy and find StumpedTechy, StumpedTechy-X600, StumpedTechy-X200 etc.
    Just alway use the save as when saving the images.
    But doing it this way you can keep the same images in the same folder with the same name by having StumpedTechy, StumpedTechy-X600, StumpedTechy-X200 etc.

8. johnni

johnni

I have been using the FREE Dup Detector program for years with excellent results. You can compare images in one folder, or two folders, with the option to include sub-folders. It does not concern itself with file names, it only compares images, regardless of size. When it has finished you choose the comparison factor (100% or less) and after reporting the number of duplicates you get to see both, and their sizes, and decide which to instantly delete. If you choose 100% similarity you can safely use the automatic delete option, but less than 100% it is best to view them. Do not use less than 95% as all sorts of "near-duplicates" will show up!
    You can also store a comparison file for future use.
    With thousands of images to compare it will take some time to do the job, but it works quite happily in the background while you get on with something else.

johnni

9. mrcoons

mrcoons

Johnni, Dup Detector works great! Thanks for sharing that with us!! (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice