1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Find option quit working-Firefox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by grandpaw7, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

When I click Edit>Find I get the program at the bottom of my screen, but the options are greyed out so I can't use the program. Any thoughts about how I can fix it?

My granddaughter does things with my computer that I know not of; I don''t know if she did something to cause this problem.

Unfortunately, I shut down System Restore to delete stuff there and failed to reopen it.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi grandpaw7

I am a bit in the dark, what program are you using?

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

After reading your reply, I realize I should have given more information. The Find problem is when I use Firefox. I just checked on using IE and Find works there OK. Here is more info; I'm sure it is more than you need, but is it also what you need?:

XP Home Edition w/ SP/2
    Intel Pentium 4A, 2800 MHz
    Firefox latest (I mostly use it)
    IE 6.0
    Dell Dimension 2400
    Intel Pentium 2800 MHz
    RAM 768 MB Avail. +/- 410
    Memory 2.00 GB Avail. +/- 1.96
    AVG Free Edition
    Comcast broadband
    MS AntiSpyware
    Spy Sweeper
    XP Firewall

My Firefox Find worked OK till a few days ago.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

It is possible that a setting was changed. I am using Firefox 2, so I am not sure what might have been changed.

When you say everything is grayed out for the Find bar, you cannot key anything into the Find window, either?

Create a new profile for Firefox.
    Close Firefox:
    Start > Run
    Key in or copy and paste:
    firefox.exe -P
    Click: OK

The profile manager window should appear where you can create a new profile for Firefox.

This link gives further instructions on creating a new profile in Firefox and importing your bookmarks to the new profile:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Creating_a_new_profile

Let us know if that works for you or not.

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

EAFiedler, apologies for not responding sooner to your post, for which I thank you.

It turns out that the Find program works okay except for one website, where it works sometimes and sometimes not. I can live with that.

grandpaw

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice