Find or Bypass XP Limited User Password W/out Reset or Adjust User Screensaver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hammerbill

For security reasons, Microsoft does not allow parents (computer administrators) to check on, maintain, adjust or otherwise enter their kids' (limited users) XP profiles without either resetting their passwords or waiting for them to come home and being confrontational about it.

Ideally I would like to be able to log on to a limited user account from my administrator account without tampering with anyone's passwords-resetting them or otherwise. Actually, I have little interest in the (step) kids' personal life and stuff. Alternately, perhaps you may help me with my ultimate goal: limiting screensaver activity:

My arrogant and belligerant teenage stepson likes to customize the family room to his tastes rather that leave it to the generic unbiased interest of the family in general. Latest, he has designed his "my pictures" screensaver somehow to override cmos settings to illustrate various pictures of himself for unlimited time rather than allow cmos or windows to shut off the monitor after periods of inactivity. Typically he would prefer to be confrontational about it, fight and argue over the issue stressing out his depressed mom in the process; I do not want to fight-I just want my monitor to go off after a while of non-use and not be kept on by XP. Sorry about all the disfunctional family issues I had to mention for background. It is hard dealing with an aggressive controlling kid. Obviously most of the time the computer is left on his profile but I "am not allowed" to adjust the power settings when it is, for some reason, from his profile.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Who is the parent here?

You don't have a computer issue, you have a disipline issue. I'd say a weeks vacation from any computer use might start on the path to set his mind right. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online