1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Find out Hard Drive Power On Time?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by camaroer87, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camaroer87

camaroer87 Thread Starter

I am wondering if there was a program similar to Hard Drive Inspector that could tell me how many hours my usb hard drives have been run for. Hard Drive Inspector only finds the internal hard drive in my laptop.

Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are fewer connections for an external so some sensors are unavailable. But I wouldn't believe the report from HDI, anyway. It says my main drive has been used for 12 days when it has been running almost constantly for 8 months.

3. camaroer87

Well is there something that can tell me the length of time the usb hard drive has been running?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I doubt that there is any way to tell how long any drive has been running, USB or otherwise.

But the free version of HDTune has a SMART monitor. Look under Health and Power On Hours Count. It is as good a guess as any.

But since the SMART status of USB drives is usually inaccessible, you may need to connect the drive inside the machine to get the SMART data.

5. camaroer87

Ok thanks for the info!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702361