1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

find restored locations of files from recycle bin

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by R-hinestone, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. R-hinestone

R-hinestone Thread Starter

my aunt restored 2 deleted files from the recycle bin but she claimed she couldn't find them in the original location where they were deleted. She couldn't quiet recall the names of the files except that they were .pptx files. Is there an advanced search for something like this?

2. QCTech

QCTech

Maybe I missed something, but have you tried a wildcard search in Start>Search> *.pptx
    That should find all instances of .pptx files. If it finds any, right-click on them and choose >go to folder/location<
    The file names found should remind you what they are...

3. R-hinestone

Hi QCTech, thanks for your reply. I guess it does seem to be the only sensible way; the only problem is that she has literally thousands of .pptx files. I was trying to see if there's a way i can sort newly restored files from recycle bin namely it might have a new date created attribute to the files - but i really doubt this.

4. QCTech

QCTech

If you don't mind getting in Linux or Unix, PHP and/or TAR, search Google for this string:
    Recursively list files by latest date accessed or modified
    That should put you into Stackoverflow.com where they discuss how to do recursive searches of files for last, latest or date modified or accessed. You are correct in assuming the creation dates may not change but access and modification dates may, when they are sent to the Recycle Bin and/or Restored. I found that much, but nothing in windows that will do that kind of search, altho it must be available somewhere in Microsoft's massive libraries.

5. R-hinestone

Thanks a lot QCTech! I will try your advice.

6. managed

managed Allan

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061360