1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Find the printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by edonchow, Sep 13, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. edonchow

edonchow Thread Starter

I bought a Toshiba e-Studio 2540c Digital Copier/Printer for my wireless network. My Linksys EA7400 wireless router has 2 USB ports that I can use and I have a Netgear wireless adapter also. How can I connect the printer?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16262 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (398 GB Free); D: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 827E
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Enabled and Updated

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Hi edonchow, and welcome to TSG.

One way to connect the multifunction printer to the router is using an Ethernet cable. If you require a wireless connection, please tell us the exact model number and any hardware version number of your Netgear wireless adapter.

EDIT: By any chance, does your printer have the Toshiba GN-1060 Wireless LAN card installed?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Read the manual. We all do it.

5. edonchow

edonchow Thread Starter

No LAN card. Is that a better way to connect? I would be willing to buy one if it is easy enough to install.

I have a Netgear AC600 WiFi USB Adapter. I can also connect to a USB port on the router with a USB printer cable, if that helps.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The router you posted above has two USB ports for storage devices, but none for a printer.

7. edonchow

edonchow Thread Starter

What can I do to get to be able to print from this machine?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Plug the USB from the printer into your computer. Read the manual.

cwwozniak likes this.
  9. edonchow

edonchow Thread Starter

lunarlander, please read the original post. I want to connect wirelessly. Do you have to be rude?

If you knew what a Toshiba e-Studio copier/printer looks like you would know that it is not just another desktop. It is in another room and too big for my office. The solution I am looking for is not addressed by the manual.

10. cwwozniak

Is your computer connected wired or wirelessly to the Linksys EA7400 wireless router? If so, here are three possible connection options:

1) The e-Studio 2540c should come with a built in wired LAN port. If feasible, connect it to an open LAN port socket on the Linksys EA7400 wireless router with an Etherent cable.

2) Is it possible to connect the e-Studio 2540c printer via USB to a different computer that is also connected to the Linksys EA7400 wireless router? If so, you should be able to have the other computer share the printer with other computers on the same LAN. This may only work for printing, but not for scanning.

3) Have a Toshiba GN-1060 Wireless LAN card installed on the e-Studio 2540c printer. It can then be configured to connect to the LAN via the Linksys EA7400 wireless router.

11. edonchow

edonchow Thread Starter

My laptops, (2) are wireless to the router. I freed up a LAN port so I am able to:
    1) The e-Studio 2540c should come with a built in wired LAN port. If feasible, connect it to an open LAN port socket on the Linksys EA7400 wireless router with an Etherent cable.

I have tried to add the printer, but it does not show up.

12. cwwozniak

You need to check the printer's manual for instructions for connecting the printer to the LAN. You need to figure out how to have the printer use DHCP if it is used by the router to assign an IP address or to manually configure an IP address and sub-net mask on the printer.

13. edonchow

edonchow Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.

14. cwwozniak

There is a posibility that once the printer has a working network connection, you may need to install some printer utility software on the computer and then have the software search and find the printer on the network. I recall doing something like that with a fax/printer combo unit a few years ago. The printer's manual should have that information as well.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196296