1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Find valid values for Registry key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MastiffShack, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MastiffShack

MastiffShack Thread Starter

Where would a person go to find the valid entries for all sorts of registry keys. While most keys will turn up in a Google search, the entries many times do not.

For example, at location:

HKCR\ApplID\{<key_value>}

there is an entry called: LaunchPermission. It is a REG_BINARY type.

Because this entry exists, it prevents me from chaning settings on the (in this case) Microsoft's Automatic Update feature.

I'm afraid to remove it, I'm also concernd about just chaning it, as the entry is binary, and chaning a value can have far reaching effects.

Any ideas you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

(Why would it even exist in the first place? Especially if MS doesn't publish this type of data, and some nice(?) guru decides to install it?)

2. putasolution

putasolution

3. MastiffShack

Thank you for the help. I had search MSDN, and while an explaination had been provided for the key in question (LaunchPermission), there was no information on how to interrogate/interpret the information.

I did try your other link (winguides) but it did not find the key.

I just hate it when MS provides this type of information but never goes any further. Sort of a teaser...

Thanks again.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What message do you get when trying to change settings? And how do you know that "LaunchPermission" (of which there are many) is associated with it if you haven't removed or changed it?

Restrictions are usually set through Administrative policies. XP pro handles these through gpedit.msc (group policy editor). The registry key for this would typically be

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer ...... NoWindowsUpdate

If your settings options are greyed out for Automatic Updates in System Properties and you see the message "Windows update service is unavailable", then go to Administrative Tools > Services and double click Automatic Updates and make sure that is not disabled.

5. MastiffShack

There are no messages, I just can't change any settings when I launch the "Automatic Updates" icon from the Control Panel. As to how I know, because I like to "tinker" with, and learn from, OS settings. And in the case of this OS, it is Win2K Pro. A scan for "Automatic" in the registry revealed "Automatic Updates" and the "LaunchPermission" key.

Your right, I found many instances of "LaunchPermission" keys in the registry. For those that I did find, the pattern of hex values was different. I looked at the folder where they resided; pulled up the application; and could not find any evident restrictions on their use.

Since I obtained this PC from a deceased family member, I can only assume that he was playing around with the various settings, and decided to set the value FOR autoupdate, then restrict it so that it can't be undone. The trouble is, that autoupdate launches and continues running in background. The PC will be my son's, and he will not be on the net (to any great extent). I need all the power the little PC has to provide him the gaming ability he wants.

In this case, there is no great harm. However, there may be other bomb shells just waiting; and I'd like to know how to deal with them.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. MastiffShack

Yes, there is a service, and no it isn't set to disabled. It works, and all the "settings" are greyed out (can't change them). So, I figured that the restriction had to be enforced from an outside source (mainly from him inserting a registry key) and that is when I found the "LaunchPermission" key. I also found that there is a "global" key setting that this key will override.

This is why I was wanting the settings. (I figure I could probably delete the key, but being the curious animal that I am...)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. sevenyb420

sevenyb420

Hey guys,

The LaunchPermissions key is a registry key that exists under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\classes\AppID\{COM OBJECT AppID}

This key determines what user accounts on the local machine are allowed to instantiate that com object. These permissions can be modified for all COM, COM+, and DCOM object on your system by going to start menu -> Run, type dcomcnfg and hit enter.

This will give you a gui that allows you to modify any properties of all the com, com+, and DCOM object installed on your local machine. You can change things like what account the object is run under, access permissions, see dependencies, and many other things. These objects are windows system objects, 3rd party class libraries, services that run, and the like.

To view all of the com /dcom objects installed on your system go to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927229

and download the ole/com object viewer.

As far as an interpretation of the specific binary data, I'm looking for that now.

SK

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!