Find wifi-password/ no wifi network shown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chueh

I am trying to retrieve my wifi password on windows 10, but there is no wifi connection shown (see the screenshot. There is only ethernet present)

I do have wifi connection and am able to use my MacBook and Android phone, but why the wifi connection is not shown?

Thanks

Click on 'change adapter settings' on the left. Do you see Ethernet and Wi-Fi adapters ? If not, then your Wi-Fi is malfunctioning.

chueh

I do have the wifi icon, but it says "Not Connected" with a red X next to it. How come I can still connect my wireless devices? Anyhow... What should I do to to make it working normally? Thanks,

This is a laptop correct? On some laptops, there is a Wi-Fi button which you press to turn on Wi-Fi.

plodr

Liz
Do you have an ethernet cable plugged in? If so, remove it. You can't connect by wire and wifi at the same time.

Since my laptop is using wireless, my ethernet adapter has a red x, unlike your ZyXEL2.

chueh

To lunalander, no the screenshot is from windows 10.
To plods, Hm..... I have to use ethernet because of my voiceOverIP phone (Vonage). So... basically my wifi connection is not shown properly working is due to ethernet, correct? If that's not interfering my wifi-networking, then I should be OK, right? What can be the malfunctioning results in my case? (just want to know the heads-up). If nothing else, then perhaps I can leave it be???

plodr

Liz
So... basically my wifi connection is not shown properly working is due to ethernet, correct?
Yes. You can either use ethernet or wifi on a device but not both.

valis

Agreed. I have had MANY issues with my W10 machine overriding the wired connection to use the wireless; apparently it is a known issue with Dell. Eventually found a setting in bios that was enabling wireless over wired, but yes, they can and do run both concurrently.

plodr

Liz
Since I don't run 10, this has never happened to any computer I've owned or currently own. It is one or the other connection but not both.

valis

To be honest plodr, Ive had W7 and XP machines do this as well. That said, they have all been in enterprise situations; I run wired at the house so have never run into it outside of work.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think that it would be one or the other if it's on the same domain as I have seen here where if the user's laptop is connected to Ethernet (whether direct or through a dock) then it takes precedence over wireless. Once off the dock/ethernet, wireless kicks in.

Having said that, the OP was asking to retrieve the wireless password, so the question is, what is he connecting to

I don't remember seeing an unhide password option in Windows. Maybe check on your cell phone, I think Android 8 has the option to show password option.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm pretty sure Windows 10 does not have this. Windows 7 does.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online