1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Find wifi-password/ no wifi network shown

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chueh, Mar 27, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I am trying to retrieve my wifi password on windows 10, but there is no wifi connection shown (see the screenshot. There is only ethernet present)
    [​IMG]

I do have wifi connection and am able to use my MacBook and Android phone, but why the wifi connection is not shown?

Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Click on 'change adapter settings' on the left. Do you see Ethernet and Wi-Fi adapters ? If not, then your Wi-Fi is malfunctioning.

3. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I do have the wifi icon, but it says "Not Connected" with a red X next to it. How come I can still connect my wireless devices? Anyhow... What should I do to to make it working normally? Thanks,[​IMG]

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

This is a laptop correct? On some laptops, there is a Wi-Fi button which you press to turn on Wi-Fi.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you have an ethernet cable plugged in? If so, remove it. You can't connect by wire and wifi at the same time.

Since my laptop is using wireless, my ethernet adapter has a red x, unlike your ZyXEL2.

6. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

To lunalander, no the screenshot is from windows 10.
    To plods, Hm..... I have to use ethernet because of my voiceOverIP phone (Vonage). So... basically my wifi connection is not shown properly working is due to ethernet, correct? If that's not interfering my wifi-networking, then I should be OK, right? What can be the malfunctioning results in my case? (just want to know the heads-up). If nothing else, then perhaps I can leave it be???

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes. You can either use ethernet or wifi on a device but not both.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably true in this case, but not true in general.

9. valis

valis Moderator

Agreed. I have had MANY issues with my W10 machine overriding the wired connection to use the wireless; apparently it is a known issue with Dell. Eventually found a setting in bios that was enabling wireless over wired, but yes, they can and do run both concurrently.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since I don't run 10, this has never happened to any computer I've owned or currently own. It is one or the other connection but not both.

11. valis

valis Moderator

To be honest plodr, Ive had W7 and XP machines do this as well. That said, they have all been in enterprise situations; I run wired at the house so have never run into it outside of work.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I think that it would be one or the other if it's on the same domain as I have seen here where if the user's laptop is connected to Ethernet (whether direct or through a dock) then it takes precedence over wireless. Once off the dock/ethernet, wireless kicks in.

Having said that, the OP was asking to retrieve the wireless password, so the question is, what is he connecting to

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't remember seeing an unhide password option in Windows. Maybe check on your cell phone, I think Android 8 has the option to show password option.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depends on the version of Windows. I can show it (called "Network security key") on Windows 8.1.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm pretty sure Windows 10 does not have this. Windows 7 does.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice