1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding a URL

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rana317, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rana317

rana317 Thread Starter

Is there a way to locate/identify the URL for the streaming audio portion of a web-site.

The streaming is either embedded in a frame via JavaScript on the site's web page, or opens another window via JavaScript (and without an address bar). Since it's JavaScript, right-clicking on the "listen now" links and going to "properties" doesn't accomplish anything.

TIA!

2. BillC

BillC

Can you post the URL of the site in question?

3. rana317

rana317 Thread Starter

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Very often this information is buried in the datastream. This is particularly true if the site uses active-X, or java or javascript to open the stream. The only way to find the url in this case is to use a packet sniffer, capture the incoming data stream, and root through it.

I am a linux user and much of the streaming stuff is intended to be Windows-only. I can almost always read/display the datastream if I can find it, but I can't (and won't) run the active-X controls. So I have gotten good with using ethereal www.ethereal.com to sort through the data stream to find the URL and protocol.

Ethereal runs on windows too.

5. BillC

BillC

I agree with Jim about the IP being buried and hard to find. A packet sniffer might work. Another thing I would try is a port monitor that will show the ports in use and IP to which they are connected. I use Current Ports that does exactly that and it is reeware. When you install it, go to a site, connect to the streaming audio, then close all other browsers except the streaming audio and by process of elimination you should be able to identify the IP.

I did it last night with a local radio station here in Atlanta, identified the IP, but when I accessed it there was no mechanism that permitted me to listen. My point is that once you know the IP, I'm not sure how useful that will be.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice