1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding a Vid Card that will fit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mb90078, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mb90078

mb90078 Thread Starter

I've got an old HP Pavilion 8575C with an 8mb Graphics card (integrated). I'm looking for something that it can upgrade to that it's 185 watt PSU can support. Does anyone know of any such video cards that are still available new?

2. McTimson

McTimson

Well, it looks like your system has an AGP slot, which is good. Looking at Pricegrabber, you can get a GeForce2 MX-400 for $35. It's a 64MB card, so that should be quite an improvement. You can see the Pricegrabber listing here, and the manufacturer site here.

I'm not sure about the power requirements, but it should work.

3. mb90078

mb90078 Thread Starter

Thanks for the recomendation, but I'm really looking for a site that says what the minimal watts necessary are. I don't wanna get something that won't end up working, and since it's such a low PSU I can't just assume that anything will work.

Also upgrading the PSU would be quite a hastle itself, because I'd need to get a new case for it too, turning what would be possibly a $30 upgrade into a 100+....

Thanks for any further help.

EDIT: Actually I just found on PNY's website that their GeForce2 MX200-AGP requires 250...

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

If you aren't specifically looking for an AGP but a decent upgrade you can still find the Radeon 7000 32MB or 64MB PCI card. It will definitley work with that power supply and has some decent features in the software package.

I had to find a card that would work with older IBM's with 150 watt PWS and older processors and this did the trick. This is from the home page URL below.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Q16: What are the system requirement for the RADEON™ 7000?

A16: AGP versions require Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron™, AMD® K6/Athlon™/Duron™/Athlon™ XP or compatible with AGP 2.0 Compliant - AGP 2X (3.3V), AGP 4X (1.5V), or AGP2X/4X universal slot
    PCI versions require Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron™, AMD® K6/Athlon™/Duron™/Athlon™ XP or compatible with PCI universal slot
    128MB of system memory recommended
    Installation software requires CD_ROM drive
    DVD playback requires DVD drive
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon7000/

5. mb90078

mb90078 Thread Starter

Cool, thanks. I know that AGP is obviously a better choice when given one, but in the situation I'm in, I'll see a huge improvment anyway, right?

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

If you're referring to my post suggestion you should see a pretty substantial improvement but I have to caution that one part is only as good as the next in the chain. I don't know you're monitor, RAM, etc., or the applications you're going to be referencing.

My experience with the 32 MB 7000's was excelent an the people I was trying to help were all running older 21" Cornerstone monitors looking at poorly scanned tiff files all day and this card was well worth the price.

I assume that running a more standard size monitor the result would be good or better but you never know until you try.

Sorry for the lukewarm endorsement but you're asking me to give you a positive "Right?" and like the guy who says, "He's a terrific surgeon" and the next thing you hear is he died on the operating table.

7. mb90078

mb90078 Thread Starter

It'd be used for gaming (though obviously not top-of-the-line games that are coming out today), and word processing primairly. It's got 256 RAM and is 550 mhz. And the price difference between the 32 and the 64 isn't really a big deal.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well, I'd go for it based on that info unless someone has a better recomendation. Happy puting.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice