Finding default email client Windows 7 Business

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dino7

Dear Friends, Hope all is well.

I would like to find and install the most simple default email client. Windows Outlook/Outlook Express used to be included. It is my understanding it was stopped. Although I still have it and use it in Vista Home Basic.

If I right click on a desktop icon for example and desire to send that to someone., I get this line/message box. "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install and email program or, if one already installed, create and association in the Default Programs control panel"

Windows Live Mail appears to have a lot of things I'd never use and I don't know a thing about Thunderbird. I need to KEEP THIS as simple as possible Pleeze!

Any help deeply appreciated...

Sincerely, Raffaele

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3983 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1767 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152269 MB, Free - 119470 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

etaf

Wayne
windows live mail and thunderbird are the clients to use

WLM is the replacement for outlook express

whats your email server - just need the bit after the @
maybe able to send to a web based email

etaf

Wayne
not sure how to do with AOL
so you will need to use WLM

dino7

Will do! although I'm not thrilled about WLM.
Thanks again...I'll repost or marked solved ASAP! any other suggestions in the meantime? please let me know.
Sincerely, Ralph

etaf

Wayne
another member may know how to setup AOL webmail or Desktop app - i dont and played with my aol and didnt get it to work

you done have to use WLM all the time - just to send email

setup as IMAP

dont mark solved - that will stop others reading the post

dino7

Thank YOU!
Before I noticed this last post about "OE Classic" I downloaded the Windows Live Mail and Messenger..the very basic features.

Something strange happened. When I went to the Recently Deleted folder on my AOL account there was a list of emails that I didn't recognize, ones that I certainly did not recently Delete. They are of no great importance, but i have no idea how they got there? Perhaps it has something to do with synchronizing the accounts? What do I know?!? The Sent mail, Saved mail, Old mail, etc...seemed intact.

I really don't need all the Options WLM provides or Messenger.,

One thing I really liked about older OE was the ability to do Scolling marquees. Silly maybe, but I liked that option.

I know you have to be very certain about the In and Out mail setting numbers when setting up OE. (SMTP and POP3) using Vista Home Premium where you'll find Windows Mail..which is different than OE Classic and WLM..but very similar to the older OE. And you are able to do Scrolling Marguee's with it.

That being said...What would be the correct steps if I decided to switch over to this OE Classic mentioned here? And what would be your best guess regarding these Deleted emails mentioned above? Curious?!?

Before I proceed with any of this I'll wait to hear back from you fine folks here at TechGuys.

Sincerely, Ralph

etaf

Wayne
did you setup as POP or IMAP
and do you have the setting to delete the emails from the server - set?

dino7

Hi,

-did you setup as POP or IMAP
I downloaded WML. I did not set up POP IMAP as far as I can tell they were set up by default. I'm not familiar enough yet to set these if they needed to be set differently?

-and do you have the setting to delete the emails from the server - set?
I'm not sure where to find and set this yet?

Your suggestions?

tx ralph

Attachments

etaf

Wayne
as you have setup as imap - you will get all the emails again on the server
in POP
when you delete an email, depending on settings, it does NOT delete from the server

so you may simply get all the old emails

I have had this happen for quite a few clients - and they get emails going back years sometimes, 4000 or even 26000 emails received

dino7

Hey Wayne, Thanks again...
Is there anything I can do to change this so that the deleted emails won't be seen again?
At first glance it struck me kind of odd cause I didn't recognize some of these recurring emails. Some of them I thought I had saved or at some point wanted to save them.
Ideally in all cases I'd like to delete many of these emails as I never refer back to them whether it's with AOL/OE/WLM, etc...
Suggestions?
tx ralph

etaf

Wayne

OR , this should work now you are setup as IMAP
drag the emails into the Deleted Items folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online