1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding default email client Windows 7 Business

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dino7, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Dear Friends, Hope all is well.

I would like to find and install the most simple default email client. Windows Outlook/Outlook Express used to be included. It is my understanding it was stopped. Although I still have it and use it in Vista Home Basic.

If I right click on a desktop icon for example and desire to send that to someone., I get this line/message box. "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install and email program or, if one already installed, create and association in the Default Programs control panel"

Windows Live Mail appears to have a lot of things I'd never use and I don't know a thing about Thunderbird. I need to KEEP THIS as simple as possible Pleeze!

Any help deeply appreciated...

Sincerely, Raffaele

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3983 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1767 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152269 MB, Free - 119470 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    windows live mail and thunderbird are the clients to use

WLM is the replacement for outlook express

whats your email server - just need the bit after the @
    maybe able to send to a web based email

3. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

aol.com

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not sure how to do with AOL
    so you will need to use WLM

5. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Will do! although I'm not thrilled about WLM.
    Thanks again...I'll repost or marked solved ASAP! any other suggestions in the meantime? please let me know.
    Sincerely, Ralph

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    another member may know how to setup AOL webmail or Desktop app - i dont and played with my aol and didnt get it to work

you done have to use WLM all the time - just to send email

setup as IMAP

dont mark solved - that will stop others reading the post

7. Lance1

Lance1

This is almost identical to OE. It's called OE Classic It's as simple as simple can get. I installed it and took this screenshot for you. Also here are the AOL mail settings.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Thank YOU!
    Before I noticed this last post about "OE Classic" I downloaded the Windows Live Mail and Messenger..the very basic features.

Something strange happened. When I went to the Recently Deleted folder on my AOL account there was a list of emails that I didn't recognize, ones that I certainly did not recently Delete. They are of no great importance, but i have no idea how they got there? Perhaps it has something to do with synchronizing the accounts? What do I know?!? The Sent mail, Saved mail, Old mail, etc...seemed intact.

I really don't need all the Options WLM provides or Messenger.,

One thing I really liked about older OE was the ability to do Scolling marquees. Silly maybe, but I liked that option.

I know you have to be very certain about the In and Out mail setting numbers when setting up OE. (SMTP and POP3) using Vista Home Premium where you'll find Windows Mail..which is different than OE Classic and WLM..but very similar to the older OE. And you are able to do Scrolling Marguee's with it.

That being said...What would be the correct steps if I decided to switch over to this OE Classic mentioned here? And what would be your best guess regarding these Deleted emails mentioned above? Curious?!?

Before I proceed with any of this I'll wait to hear back from you fine folks here at TechGuys.

Sincerely, Ralph

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you setup as POP or IMAP
    and do you have the setting to delete the emails from the server - set?

10. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Hi,

-did you setup as POP or IMAP
    I downloaded WML. I did not set up POP IMAP as far as I can tell they were set up by default. I'm not familiar enough yet to set these if they needed to be set differently?

-and do you have the setting to delete the emails from the server - set?
    I'm not sure where to find and set this yet?

Your suggestions?

tx ralph

Attached Files:

11. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

AOL Properties currently..Sorry I meant to send these before. These were set by default.

Attached Files:

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    as you have setup as imap - you will get all the emails again on the server
    in POP
    when you delete an email, depending on settings, it does NOT delete from the server

so you may simply get all the old emails

I have had this happen for quite a few clients - and they get emails going back years sometimes, 4000 or even 26000 emails received

13. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Hey Wayne, Thanks again...
    Is there anything I can do to change this so that the deleted emails won't be seen again?
    At first glance it struck me kind of odd cause I didn't recognize some of these recurring emails. Some of them I thought I had saved or at some point wanted to save them.
    Ideally in all cases I'd like to delete many of these emails as I never refer back to them whether it's with AOL/OE/WLM, etc...
    Suggestions?
    tx ralph

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

OR , this should work now you are setup as IMAP
    drag the emails into the Deleted Items folder

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice