1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding drivers for a discontinued laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greeneggsandham, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Thread Starter

Toshiba Satellite P55W-C5316
    PSPVTU-008001

I just downgraded to Windows 7 and need the touchpad and wifi adatper for my laptop. I came to find the laptop is discontinued and Toshiba doesn't have any drivers on their website anymore.
    When entering my model number at https://support.toshiba.com/drivers it list 7 drivers, none of which I need.
    I've done some searching around but I can't find a good solution to this. I can find the drivers on Softpedia and other 3rd party sites, but installing drivers from 3rd party sites is a pretty big security risk isn't it? What am I supposed todo here? I find it hard to believe Toshiba wouldn't at least archive the latest versions of the drivers for public download.

2. gljio

gljio

Do you know what is your WiFi model? If not, use the excellent freeware HWInfo and you can find out. Same for the touchpad. Then you can download it from 3rd party sites

greeneggsandham likes this.
  3. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Thread Starter

@glijo Thanks for your reply. I installed the software which detected my wifi adapter and brought me here to where I installed a similar tool from intel that downloaded and installed the drivers directly from their website. Woo! No more USB wifi adapter!
    The touchpad on the other hand I'm not having much luck with. Unless it's hidden I don't think HWInfo picked it up. Intels software didn't pick it up either but I don't think it has anything todo with intel. If anyone has any pointers for me on the touchpad please let me know.

4. gljio

gljio

1. It's strange you HAVE to install the touchpad drivers. Usually they do work basically out of the box
    2. Why Windows 7 and not 10?
    3. I see there are touchpad drivers for Windows 10 - try them (or upgrade to windows 10!)
    4. Is your bios updated? could help generally

greeneggsandham likes this.
  5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its marketing specifications, the Toshiba Satellite P55W-C5316(PSPVTU-008001) laptop originally came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    It has full driver support for Windows 10 64-bit, but it doesn't have any driver support for Windows 7 64-bit.
    However, that doesn't mean Windows 7 64-bit drivers don't exist for Windows 7 64-bit.
    A search at vendor and other sites should easily locate the needed drivers.

That model laptop appears to have these primary devices:
    Intel Chipset
    Intel HD Graphics 520
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
    Synaptics Touchpad

If that's correct, I know for a fact that Windows 7 64-bit drivers are readily available for all of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

How exactly and what did you use to switch that laptop from Windows 10 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit?

THIS Windows 7 install and update guide should be very helpful to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice