1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding IP addresses of sites??? How to....

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BigDaveinNJ, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

I read somewhere.... and don't hold me to this.... that one of the things that slows things while web surfing using dial-up is the fact that when you type in a url is that the browser must "look-up" or "find" the IP address..... or SOMETHING to that effect.

I have also heard that if you enter the IP address in your favorites instead of the standard www. url you can speed things up... even if slightly. When using dial-up I feel you need to gain every little advantage that you can.

Is this true? Is there any benifit in enetering the IP address of a site and if so..... how can I find a sites IP address?

I may be all wet here... and probably am.... but I thought of no other place to go to ask my stupid questions.........lol

Thanks in advance :)

DAVID

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

hmmm, not sure if it speeds up much - saves a few milleseconds going directly to the numeric address instead of having to resolve the www to the IP

here's one way

start
    run
    command (a dos window opens)
    type in ping www.the name.com
    you should get an octet of 1, 2, or 3 numbers
    (4 sets of up to 3 numbers)
    ie xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

an easier way is using
    <u>uxn spam site</u> which has a variety of tools
    - the ping didn't seem to be working, try the trace route and look at the last server it gets to

3. gethedge

gethedge

Yes, "ping" is the appropriate command runnong windows. If you are technical enough to run linux, I guess you would know, and I know nothing about mac, so I wouildn't be able to help you there anyway, so this post is useless

4. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

But I notice that some sites that save themselves (to favorites) by default as an IP address soon change and become unreachable. Perhaps some sites have dynamic IP's that get redirected by the url?? So maybe that timesaver may cost you more time in the long run.
    This is mostly speculation on my part so.........

5. angel

angel

There's a theory that entering the domain name and IP address in your hosts file will speed things up. This makes sense in that the hosts file is the first place checked when trying to resolve a name - then your dns servers, I believe. The prob here is that some sites change their IPs for whatever reason and you would need to edit your hosts file to reflect this change.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice