1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding light fixture in ceiling

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by chanaadair, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chanaadair

chanaadair Thread Starter

I need to find out if there is ANY way possible(short of tearing out the ceiling and drilling lots of holes in the ceiling) of finding where the light fixtures use to be in our home. The ceiling was replaced in living room and den before we bought it and to be honest I didn't think of even counting how many switches and how many light fixtures, etc. We had a house fire and had to have something quick so now I have this to contend with. Anyways, the living room and den had ceilings replaced from the original tile panel type thing and was replaced with sheet rock with some kind of popcorn(?) texture but they covered the light fixtures. I want to find them and install light fixtures so the rooms are bright and not dark as they are now. Is there ANY way, some kind of tool to find where these boogers are? thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Most electrical boxes are made of steel. A metal detector or even a strong magnet passed along the ceiling should be able to find them.

I would be very concerned about the wiring used to connect to those junction boxes. The fire could have damaged the insulation on the wires to cause them to short together; if not during the fire then maybe at some time in the future.

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

they're just as apt to be plastic... depending on the type and age

no access from above I gather?

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I too would have concerns over the safety of any previous wiring after a fire,I would think it might even have been ripped out and replaced,Im thinking like buck that you need access from above to install new fittings etc...better to be safe than sorry .....

5. DrewUberAlles

DrewUberAlles

I worked for an electrician this summer and I have realized that there is only one way to find something out and it usually involves either getting dirty or being extremely uncomfortable.

In this case unless the ceiling you are talking about has a floor above it, you have at least a crawl space between the ceiling of that room and the roof. Take a flashlight and just follow the wires and look for the junction boxes. If a good electrician wired the house, he would have wire nutted all loose connections and neatly tucked them in a box. If the work was done some time ago they may be hanging loose in which case be careful.

At a certain point you have to decide is this worth my time and effort to try to do or just bite the bullet and call a professional. There are two things that I would never DIY and that is plumbing and electrical. If you don't know what you are doing, don't risk your safety and just make the call.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, plumbing and electrical aren't all that difficult for the DIY person if they have the basic skills. This isn't rocket science. :)

7. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    If I understand your query correctly, you had some light fixtures installed in the ceiling (that is for certain, correct? You don't want to chase gremlins). They were covered up by the sheetrocker, and you want to find them. Is that correct?

Who took the lights down, and did they cap off the wires? I hope so.

How old is the house? Saying, really, really old houses (older than 1920's/ 1930's) sometimes they would stick a box anywhere. Normally, they are put in "reasonable" places.

If you could pop up in the attic, that's the easy way. Sometimes you can look through the side of an A/C vent and see if there's something.

Otherwise, lights are typically put in the center of the room, center of the dining area, etc. You can measure that spot off, and using a small finish nail, make a small hole there. Using a wire/ coat hanger, see if it bottoms out at 2 or 3 inches or so (you're in the box). If it keeps going, you probably missed it, but can poke around and try to find it by hitting the side.

If you hit it, make a slightly larger hole and verify with something else, and on up in size to a hammer. Before you go crazy knocking a hole, take the time to be reasonably sure you're in the box. NOTE: Either turn the power off, or don't just stick your finger up in there. It could be hot.

If you happen to hit the box, and if wire nuts weren't installed, turn the power off for the wires. You don't want to be hitting them. Use a scoring knife, and cut just enough within the circumference of the box.

Now, this is assuming there's a box. If it was a fan, it may just be a wire.

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Drew, from one electrician to another... I agree. However, in my old age I have realized there are risks/tradeoffs and such. For the most part, people are going to hang lights, fans, and maybe change a plug or switch on their own. I'll try to help them, so they do it correctly. After that, adding circuits and such probably need an electrician, IMHO. That is not because people are inept or it's too complex, it's just that the electrician is more experienced and proficient at it. In the end, it is most probably worth the person's time to get a pro. Again... just my opinion.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

As a licensed Construction supervisor in the state of Mass...

who on earth authorized the sheetrocker to cover over any wiring boxes... burying any box with connections in it is illegal... there must be access from either above or below... period

All of the last few posts and suggestions are irrelavent...

10. wacor

wacor Banned

which leads me to question if there were any fixtures in the ceiling to begin with. ;)

11. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Ahhh... it actually helps when you read the original post.:)

How old is this house? There was a period (I believe in the mid 1950's) when the trend things was to have lamps and mood lights; as opposed to light fixtures. This is especially true in the living room. However, they did put switched plugs.

If this is the case, find some switches that you don't know what they are for, and see if they work plugs on the wall. You can plug a radio or something in them. Leave them off if they don't work plugs, as I am unsure of your actual situation there.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the wires in the ceiling are live, you can also use one of the more modern stud finders that also have an indicator of live electrical circuits to find the wiring and box.

13. iltos

iltos

no....but somethings wierd....no house i've ever worked on had "original tile panel type things"....sounds like acoustical tiles on sleepers, put up to hide an old plaster ceiling, which would indicate steel boxes, 1" or more above the new drywall ceiling

why anyone would bury all the existing electrical in a room is beyond me.....needing something "quick" don't cut it....another 10-20 minutes of measuring and cutting, and all those electrical boxes would have been in plain site.

:confused:

14. buck52

buck52 Banned

like I said it's also illegal... know way to say anymore until the op posts back with more accurate info

15. buck52

buck52 Banned

Unfortunately... for some it might as well be... ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice