1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding static IP?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yonyz, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yonyz

yonyz Thread Starter

Hi,

I'd like to setup an extra router as a WiFi access point. For that I need to set it up with a static IP, which I don't have. The main router uses DHCP.

How can I find the correct static IP to configure the access point router?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'll use my Belkin router as an example of a main router; I think you can follow the following and substitute the appropriate values for your router.

a. What IP subnet is used (ex: 192.168.2.0 thru 192.168.2.255)?

b. What address range is used by the Dhcp server (ex: 192.168.2.2 thru 192.168.2.100)?

c. What is the router's LAN IP (ex: 192.168.2.1)?

d. What static IPs are already assigned (ex: about half a dozen that I won't bother listing)?

Any of the IP addresses in (a) except the first (.0) and last (.255) and those in (b), (c) and (d) can be used for the static IP of the secondary router. In my example that would be any from 192.168.2.101 through 192.168.2.254.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice